General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

CGS - Ceramic vs. Painted

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 04:22 PM

I believe, paint , Ceramic coating and Insulation wrap.. all provide different levels of thermal protection.

Paint Least........... Ceramic coating medium Insulation Wrap the most.... if your comparing all three..

If your only comparing Paint and Ceramic coating
I would say paint least ,,, cermaic coating the most...

How's that.. ???
Old 10-30-2006, 04:40 PM

SoCal did post that he had a shipment that did not go to another vendor coming to him.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:42 PM

The main difference between the two intakes is cosmetic. While the ceramic coated version resists external engine heat to 1300-degrees, I have driven both intakes back-to-back on the HHR and there is no noticeable difference in power.

Bottom line: if you want a "shiny chrome" look; buy the ceramic version. If you prefer the silver, or plan to custom paint your intake, go with the regular powder coated model.

We recently decided to re-stock the painted version due to customer requests for it. As of late, many of our customers want to custom paint their intakes and the powder coated version can be easily sanded or stripped.

Hope it helps,
Old 10-30-2006, 05:28 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Ronzo
I guess I missed that part. Sorry.

So... Hv didn't really answer the question of whether there's any real benefit to the Ceramic over the Painted, or maybe I missed that too? Should I get new glasses?
Hey, no apology necessary. You read one thing and I read another. Just trying to help.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:50 PM

Ok I had the same question considering that there's a price difference. Here's the deal I emailed Mike in SoCal and he said hes run both extensively.There is no difference between the 2 EXCEPT that the painted one is easy to paint and color match. Other than that there is no difference whatsoever.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by hvrod
I believe, paint , Ceramic coating and Insulation wrap.. all provide different levels of thermal protection.

Paint Least........... Ceramic coating medium Insulation Wrap the most.... if your comparing all three..

If your only comparing Paint and Ceramic coating
I would say paint least ,,, cermaic coating the most...

How's that.. ???
Thanks for your opinion, hvrod.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by SoCalHHR
The main difference between the two intakes is cosmetic. While the ceramic coated version resists external engine heat to 1300-degrees, I have driven both intakes back-to-back on the HHR and there is no noticeable difference in power.

Bottom line: if you want a "shiny chrome" look; buy the ceramic version. If you prefer the silver, or plan to custom paint your intake, go with the regular powder coated model.

We recently decided to re-stock the painted version due to customer requests for it. As of late, many of our customers want to custom paint their intakes and the powder coated version can be easily sanded or stripped.

Hope it helps,
Thanks Mike.

I appreciate your response as well.

Same goes to everyone. Thanks for chiming in.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:30 PM

Just bought the painted from SoCal.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:32 PM

I just bought the ceramic one..... cant wait !!
Old 10-30-2006, 07:37 PM

Mine was a "Christmas gift" from my wife... It was more like, "Buy it and consider it my Christmas gift to you, babe." lol

Good enough for me.

Quick Reply: CGS - Ceramic vs. Painted