General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Cobalt 2.4 with 5 speed to test drive powertrain

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 08:24 PM

I wasn't trying to be a smart ass. If you were looking for a used HHR, or even one off the lot, then I could see your point. If you're going to special order it though, you're already willing to pay more for it anyway.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:33 PM

It seems to me the AAS option not being available with the tan interior makes some sense in that they would have to have the accompanying interior trim to finish it off and it would add manufacturing costs because they would have to produce that trim and if the demand was not there than the item would sit on the shelves going to waste so to speak. With the engine and tranny options there is nothing additional involved. They all roll on the same assembly line. Dropping engines and trannys into them does not change in any way whether they are 1LT's or 2LT's. So if they can drop a 2.4 5 speed into a 2LT they can do the same with a 1LT and vice versa. There is no difference during assembly. I can see them not shipping them certain ways due to lack of demand and not wanting to them to sit unsold because of lack of interest but if someone special orders them this way GM should allow for it as its no skin off their back. They should be bending over backwards to win back Americans like me from the foreign competitors but if they pull crap like this not to mention cutting corners on quality in areas that add little or not cost to their bottom line then they are going to have a big fight ahead of them and they will lose.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:27 AM

Just get a 2.4 auto trans and put an LSD in the transaxle. I do not know of an LSD available for the manual trans but maybe there is. If not I'd rather have an auto trans with limited slip than a manual doomed to one wheel peel.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Lone Ranger
Just get a 2.4 auto trans and put an LSD in the transaxle. I do not know of an LSD available for the manual trans but maybe there is. If not I'd rather have an auto trans with limited slip than a manual doomed to one wheel peel.
I think the LSD is only available with the 5speed SS.

GLad I got my standard when I did then. Seems like they will be getting harder and harder to find.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:33 AM

20VTGUY, you do get it! What I am trying to say is that GM could amaze and delight us by giving us great cars with great features at a low price or they can contrive to deny us what we want in order to force us to purchase more expensive models with expensive options we do not want in order to bolster GM short term profits.

Many of the missing features found on the lower models are just disabled in the computer and could be provided for no additional costs. Denying certain options (which had been available) is only a way to drive up the price. Chevy tells me they do not sell many manual transmissions. Simple, they don't make them. Go to a Nissan, Honda or Toyota dealer and count the manuals on the lot. Even Chrysler products have manuals available such as the Nitro 6 spd. Subaru has lots of manuals even in the higher priced models on the lot. Chevy, one maybe, in some odd color and only as a lost leader Sunday ad car. GM just does not take the buyer serious. We are just cash cows to be milked.

Most of you suggest just rolling over and taking what they will give us at any price GM deems correct. Sorry, I will not play that game. Many of you suggest that petitioning GM by internet will do no good. Try telling that to the Mustang owners who prevented Ford from dropping the line. And not trying just means you deserve what you get. You are sheep and deserve to be slaughtered at the dealer.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by jdmcomp
20VTGUY, you do get it! What I am trying to say is that GM could amaze and delight us by giving us great cars with great features at a low price or they can contrive to deny us what we want in order to force us to purchase more expensive models with expensive options we do not want in order to bolster GM short term profits.

Many of the missing features found on the lower models are just disabled in the computer and could be provided for no additional costs. Denying certain options (which had been available) is only a way to drive up the price. Chevy tells me they do not sell many manual transmissions. Simple, they don't make them. Go to a Nissan, Honda or Toyota dealer and count the manuals on the lot. Even Chrysler products have manuals available such as the Nitro 6 spd. Subaru has lots of manuals even in the higher priced models on the lot. Chevy, one maybe, in some odd color and only as a lost leader Sunday ad car. GM just does not take the buyer serious. We are just cash cows to be milked.

Most of you suggest just rolling over and taking what they will give us at any price GM deems correct. Sorry, I will not play that game. Many of you suggest that petitioning GM by internet will do no good. Try telling that to the Mustang owners who prevented Ford from dropping the line. And not trying just means you deserve what you get. You are sheep and deserve to be slaughtered at the dealer.

Of course I get it :-) I am one who understand what makes a quality built car and one the few people who give credit where credit it due regardless of manufacturer rather than basing my statement on some sort of allegiance to a brand as many do or because of some patriotic hangup as many do.
While their engineering and ergonomics are tops in my book, I knock VW all the time because of their reliability issues but I still love them. They also have a reputation of treating their warranty service customers poorly at times, though I personally have had good luck with them on that front. Honda and Toyota tend to be somewhat bland in their exterior styling but they have impeccable engineering and ergonomics. I've raved about Chrysler for styling for the last 5 years which I personally feel is quite amazing but trash them for horrible interior quality on many models and questionable reliability. I have been unimpressed with the styling, fit and finish and ergonomics of most GM products, though I have always sorta been a fan of Pontiac exterior styling. The HHR is the first GM product in a long time other than maybe the Grand Prix body from about 7 years ago, or the last gen Firebird and Trans Am that I liked stylingwise. Also like the Pontiacs styling of the Vibe aka Toyota Matrix alot more than Toyotas. Best of both worlds in my opinion. Not a huge fan Ford styling. Current styling on most models is nice but nothing special but interiors on most current models are cheapish looking. But love the Mustang and always will. I'm a Mustang guy at heart. Current body has killer styling both inside and out, I'm a sucker for retro :-) But ergonomically bad interior and cheap-ass use of materials especially the dash. Overall the American manufacturers tend not to understand what truly makes a quality car but seems in recent years they are trying to do better. The Saturn Aura I was quite impressed with inside and out. The Malibu, while the exterior styling was nothing special the interior execution was good both style and materials wise. The HHR exterior was a killer execution but not a great interior execution considering what they pulled off on the Malibu. If they could've matched that in the HHR, GM would have had a great total execution. More engine, tranny options and availability and rear disk option at least on the 2LT would have made it even better.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:18 PM

yup!!!! exactly what 20vtguy said above me. put in a better interior like on recent other gm products such as the malibu, aura, vue, acadia, new GM pick up trucks and new caddies...make standard rear disc brakes, and offer engine choices that are as good as the competion offers for the weight to horsepower ratio. Its all about marketing and giving little tastes of whats to possibly come later. BET next year, disc brakes an option on lesser hhr's. Year later, a standard 200 hp engine. Maybe a 5 speed automatic also. Typically what happens is that the major car magazines and automotive newspaper writers will do up an article on a vehicle and just rip into the percieved lack of quality or the handling/drivetrain of a vehicle. Eventually they start to cause sales to slip becuz people read and compare to better cars/trucks and then after its too late...the upgrades come in.