General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

dash cam

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 04:50 PM

dash cam

I am wondering if anyone has installed a dash cam in HHR. I'm in Ca. with lots of laws. with all the "unique" drivers on road, I'd like to be able to record driver in front of me. Looking for way to install-any ideas?
Old 06-08-2014, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by mountainman
I am wondering if anyone has installed a dash cam in HHR. I'm in Ca. with lots of laws. with all the "unique" drivers on road, I'd like to be able to record driver in front of me. Looking for way to install-any ideas?
Try modifying a windshield GPS mount?
Old 06-08-2014, 05:25 PM
Platinum Member

Unless California law has been changed, I believe, nothing can be attached to the windshield or dash top.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:34 PM
Administrator

could clip to the passenger side visor or mount small cam to the back of the rear view mirror
Old 06-08-2014, 09:29 PM

I have used my note 3 's video capabilities when mounted on dash and aimed forward. As long as your memory card ( Note can take up to 64 gig) is up to the task and you keep on charger should work great!
Old 06-08-2014, 11:22 PM
Deceased

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Unless California law has been changed, I believe, nothing can be attached to the windshield or dash top.
Interesting, I try to keep abreast of the vehicle codes in all 50 states, and that prohibition escaped my attention.

Here in NC, devices such as Go-Pro cams are becoming quite prevalent, and I've recorded a few "Oh Bleep!" moments on mine thanks to fellow motorists. Our biggest issue is texting while driving, and it carries a decent fine, along with being a Primary Offense.

Unfortunately, South Carolina's new ban on texting while driving only carries a $25 fine, so it is just a slap on the wrist at best.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:39 PM

I have one, got it off ebay for $70. Its one with a fold down screen, I have it mounted right next to my mirror. It actually tucks up there quite nice and out of the way. I don't even notice it there unless I fold the screen down for some reason. This way if something happens I don't need to defend myself, video doesn't lie! LOL
Old 06-09-2014, 01:33 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 843de
Interesting, I try to keep abreast of the vehicle codes in all 50 states, and that prohibition escaped my attention.

Here in NC, devices such as Go-Pro cams are becoming quite prevalent, and I've recorded a few "Oh Bleep!" moments on mine thanks to fellow motorists. Our biggest issue is texting while driving, and it carries a decent fine, along with being a Primary Offense.

Unfortunately, South Carolina's new ban on texting while driving only carries a $25 fine, so it is just a slap on the wrist at best.
I found this in a quick search (please consider the source). Apparently the law has been revised, to a certain extent. But this post does mention the previous prohibition......

http://thelosangelescriminaldefenseb...what-it-means/

Note that this link will also partially answer the OP's question(s).
Old 06-09-2014, 01:44 PM

Edit - wow -that link took me somewhere else the first couple of times. Now it's working for me.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:58 PM
Platinum Member

I had to change links......the first URL produced an unrelated topic for whatever reason, even though it was copied for the page describing the topic.

The second one, which now appears, looks to be a better reference.

By the way, I knew about this law because my son-in-law, on a vacation trip to California, was using a lower center windshield mount GPS and received a ticket, which he paid....don't know the actual amount.

Quick Reply: dash cam