General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Dead Pedal - What's behind? Help? SRP install.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 07:19 PM

Dead Pedal - What's behind? Help? SRP install.

Hi Folks, I just ordered one of Brian's SRP custom aluminum dead-pedals. I went out to look at how I am going to screw it down, and I am puzzled. On my '09 2LT auto, there is a "dead-pedal" shelf to the left of the brake pedal, that sits higher than the carpet behind the pedals. This is where the dead pedal will go. I reached over the top front of the carpet, pulled it back and looked. The dead pedal shelf appears to be made out of cork or particle board! Eeek. Nothing to screw to. Behind the cork appears to be a few layers of rubber insulation. Has anyone had all of this out? What's behind the rubber? I am guessing (in order) carpet, "cork" rubber pad, sheet metal. Is this sheet metal the exterior of the car to the wheelwell?

I am thinking I am going to drill four slim holes, the correct diameter for the sheet metal screws to work. Then, I am planning get some metal tubing that the screws will just fit into. I will then drill the carpet and "cork" out to the diameter of the tubing. I can then cut four tubing pieces so they are just flush with the carpet. These pieces of tubing will act as bushings to snug the sheetmetal screws against. Otherwise, the screws will just compress the cork. Does this plan make sense. Need some help and advice here guys. You hot rodding guys know how to make something work and keep moving forward. Help?

God Bless, Marc