General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Dealership vs. stealership

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 09:21 AM

Dealership vs. stealership

It is a shame that the service departments of Chevy (and other makes) dealers are so varied in the actual "service" they give. I brought my '07 LS to Balise Chevy in Springfield, MA because I could feel a vibration at highway speeds and a wobble in the steering wheel when I applied the brakes, and I heard a clunk when going over small bumps. I also needed a state inspection. Well, the first thing they did was change the oil!!! They drained the Mobil 1 synthetic that the DIC said had 75% left and replaced it with conventional oil! They then told me there was nothing wrong with the brakes and there was no vibration. After getting them to eat the cost of their stupid unnecessary oil change, I left in my wobbling, vibrating HHR and said to myself "this is why people by foreign cars: this dealer just told me this nearly new car is supposed to be a piece of crap that rides like the go-kart I had when I was 12."
A few days later I went to Medeiros-Williams Chevy in Wilbraham. I told them my problem and the service guy said : "The brake rotors tend to warp on these cars. We'll take care of that for you and fix the other problems as well." Which is exactly what they did. They machined the rotors and replaced the broken sway bar that was causing the clunk and vibration. It took about a hour. The difference is amazing. Now the car rides and handles like a brand new Chevy should, plus it was all waranty covered
After this experience, I would say don't lump all Dealerships as crooks. Many are, but some are honest outfits that really care about customer service.

Last edited by nick's dad; 07-03-2008 at 09:22 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 07-03-2008, 09:27 AM

Part of the problem is most shops are slow this time of year so the shady ones create work ie. the oil change. It's great that you got them to eat the unnecessary work. Congrats on finding a dealer that actually listened to you.

Now another topic. What made you go to Mobil1? I have been think of doing the same. I went to synthetic on my bike and have been happy. What have you found as advantages if any?? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:20 PM

I have observed the benefits of synthetic oil in both mpg and engine temperature. An honest 1-2 mpg improvement in the type of driving I do as well as cooler engine coolant temps. Plus it lasts so much longer. I generally go about 7500-8000 miles between changes, even though the computer tells me I could go farther. With conventional, I get the same "percentage remaining" at about 4500-5000.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:35 PM

I didn't think the oil percentage actually had anything to do with the oil. I thought it took into consideration things like temperature, driving style, etc to come up with the percentage instead of the actual worthiness of the oil. But I could be mistaken.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:58 PM

I have a friend that owns a repair garage,and he told me Mobil 1, and go 7500 miles between oil changes,also. He runs it in his drag car.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:00 AM

I use Pennzoil and just go by the computer. If it blows up one of these days then I'll have a reason to hot rod it! haha
Old 07-07-2008, 12:40 AM

One of my buddies bought a Silverado from our local Chevy dealer,years ago. Engine lost oil pressure and was replaced 3 times,before my buddy asked"are using the same oil pump or are you replacing it,also?" Um. Well,GM gave him a new truck under the lemon law. Could of been avoided if they had changed the oil pump in the first place,instead of the engine. 3 years after that,my buddy went to the GMC dealer to buy his next new truck.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Li'l Hearse
One of my buddies bought a Silverado from our local Chevy dealer,years ago. Engine lost oil pressure and was replaced 3 times,before my buddy asked"are using the same oil pump or are you replacing it,also?" Um. Well,GM gave him a new truck under the lemon law. Could of been avoided if they had changed the oil pump in the first place,instead of the engine.
That's how it works. You don't get everything 100% new...they take the parts off the old engine and put them on the new motor.

3 years after that,my buddy went to the GMC dealer to buy his next new truck.
Same vehicle, different stickers.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Black Rose
That's how it works. You don't get everything 100% new...they take the parts off the old engine and put them on the new motor.

Same vehicle, different stickers.
I realize that's how it works,but after the 2nd motor blew,wouldn't you think it might of been an oil pump issue? Would it have been cheaper for GM? It just seemed odd to us at the time.The lemon law was kind of new then,also.
Same vehicle,different stickers,yes,but I meant different Dealer.