General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Former rentals

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 04:38 AM

Red face Former rentals

My 2010 1LT 2.2/automatic HHR was a Hertz car. Does anybody else have a former rental car? Are there any special features on the Hertz cars? I read on here that somebody bought a former rental car that was governed at a top speed of 80 MPH which is ridiculous and unsafe. Mine will go significantly faster than 80. I also wonder why Hertz would have used the more upscale 1LT instead of the LS. It even has the running boards.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:46 AM

I've had 2 rentals. They are usually "modified" 1LTs, meaning the sometimes have some special order extras like running boards and fancy wheels.

You do know about the SEARCH tool, right?
Old 12-24-2015, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
I've had 2 rentals. They are usually "modified" 1LTs, meaning the sometimes have some special order extras like running boards and fancy wheels.

You do know about the SEARCH tool, right?
I am well aware of the search box. I posted a new thread because I wanted a discussion about it. You provided some good information.
Old 12-24-2015, 08:24 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by bugo
My 2010 1LT 2.2/automatic HHR was a Hertz car. Does anybody else have a former rental car? Are there any special features on the Hertz cars? I read on here that somebody bought a former rental car that was governed at a top speed of 80 MPH which is ridiculous and unsafe. Mine will go significantly faster than 80. I also wonder why Hertz would have used the more upscale 1LT instead of the LS. It even has the running boards.
Don't see that as unsafe. Maybe you could elaborate a reason why you think so.
Old 12-24-2015, 10:30 AM

I have a 2011 Hertz HHR 1LT. Bought about a year old with 14K on it. It also has running boards and roof rack. Have yet to have a problem with it. Love the car.
Old 12-24-2015, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Don't see that as unsafe. Maybe you could elaborate a reason why you think so.
Let's say you're driving on a 2 lane highway in Texas with a 75 MPH speed limit. A truck is in front of you going 62 MPH. When it comes time to pass him, you want to be able to spend as little time in the opposing lane as possible. If you can only do 80, that means you spend more time in the other lane than you would if you didn't have the governor.
Old 12-24-2015, 12:11 PM

I am well aware of the search box. I posted a new thread because I wanted a discussion about it. You provided some good information.
The reason I asked is that it has been discussed in great detail many times. In fact, the "similar threads" at the bottom of this page shows 1 thread with 50 replies.

Same goes for many of your questions. You will find much wisdom from the past, many members have come and gone in 10 years. Just saying your questions have probably been addressed over the years and there are existing discussions. I got no problem with curiosity.
Old 12-24-2015, 12:13 PM

Let's say you're driving on a 2 lane highway in Texas with a 75 MPH speed limit. A truck is in front of you going 62 MPH. When it comes time to pass him, you want to be able to spend as little time in the opposing lane as possible. If you can only do 80, that means you spend more time in the other lane than you would if you didn't have the governor.
But, the speed limit is still 75 MPH, even when passing!
Old 12-24-2015, 02:01 PM
Deceased

I've heard of "Governed" rentals, but it's usually only the "High Performance/Premium Collection" cars, like the Avis Corvettes I treat myself with once or twice a year when on a layover in say Los Angeles or Vegas.

I can tell you that those cars have a limiter which kicks in at 99 mph, and Avis knows when you've been naughty, I've received a few wagged fingers and "tsk tsk" noises when returning them.

If an ex-rental or fleet vehicle has a speed limiter installed, it should be removed when the vehicle is sold by the rental company, or it goes to auction.

My main concern over an ex-rental is how it was maintained, Avis and Enterprise are pretty good when it comes to service intervals, Hertz and Budget...not so much.

As to why Hertz used "Modified 1LT" models as Don coined them, two words...Fleet Sales.

Every car company that you think of as being mainstream, Chevrolet, Ford, Dodge, Toyota, Honda, VW, etc. All use Fleet Sales to boost their bottom lines and sales figures, so the Camry is the best selling car in America, a thing to boast about on TV. The dirty secret is that 200,000-300,000 of them are fleet sales to Enterprise, Avis, et al.
Old 12-24-2015, 02:07 PM
Administrator

Fleet sales ... made Ford's Taurus the sales leader for years!

Quick Reply: Former rentals