General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Front Bumper Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 10:56 AM

Front Bumper Replacement

Anyone know of any third party websites that have oem style replacement bumper covers, that are painted factory colors?

I found a couple that sell Cobalt bumper covers painted, for about 300-350, but I can't find any for the HHR SS. Usually eBay even has them, but nothing. I guess the Cobalt is just more popular.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:24 AM
Technical Moderator

Any local insurance adjuster would be able to refer you. Many body shops have an insurance guy sitting in their office.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Any local insurance adjuster would be able to refer you. Many body shops have an insurance guy sitting in their office.
Wow... things are different in your state. I've literally been in dozens and dozens of body shops over the years and I've never seen that
Old 11-13-2013, 03:56 PM
Technical Moderator

Nationwide has a guy in many large shops, like the car dealership owned ones, that's the "Drive-in Claim service" with the convenience of sucking the uninitiated into believing that shop is the only place they can get the job done at. My local Chevy body shop has a Nationwide guy and at least one other company in the office.

But the big shops have their own dedicated appraisers, at least.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:21 PM
Deceased

Yeah, the larger insurance underwriters are doing this more often now to speed claim settlements and repairs. Of the two Chevy dealers I regularly use, one is affiliated with Nationwide, the other with State Farm.

In most states, you're not required or obligated to use body shops affiliated with your underwriters, but it does help folks who are pressed for time or who are intimidated by seeking estimates.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by WSFrazier
Anyone know of any third party websites that have oem style replacement bumper covers, that are painted factory colors?

I found a couple that sell Cobalt bumper covers painted, for about 300-350, but I can't find any for the HHR SS. Usually eBay even has them, but nothing. I guess the Cobalt is just more popular.
There is a bodyshop that advertises in my local (Dallas) craigslist. They sell you the part already painted. I am sure all they do is order an aftermarket part and paint it. I recommend you search cobalt (since it is way more popular), then call and see if he can do an hhr, I am sure he does if you put a deposit down.
http://dallas.craigslist.org/search/...inAsk=&maxAsk=

Or You can by the aftermarket bumper cover yourself and take it to a bodyshop and ask what they will charge to paint it. I am sure a bodyshop will give you a list of aftermarket parts dealers in your area. I think partschannel has an outlet up there in your neck of the woods.
http://www.partschannel.com/default.htm

But here is your best bet (assumming that the part is a factory color) buy the bumper cover from a junkyard.

Here is a rear maroon for $100
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ptd/4062730795.html

Here is a front grey for $80
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/pts/4146058769.html

The best way to find a specific color bumper cover would be hit the website car-part.com. This is the inventory list to everything junkyard.

I know you are looking for the SS bumper, it will be a little more challenging, but they probably make it aftermarket.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:42 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by 843de
Yeah, the larger insurance underwriters are doing this more often now to speed claim settlements and repairs. Of the two Chevy dealers I regularly use, one is affiliated with Nationwide, the other with State Farm.

In most states, you're not required or obligated to use body shops affiliated with your underwriters, but it does help folks who are pressed for time or who are intimidated by seeking estimates.
I am a bit more cynical.
The reason the shop does it is to make you think you have to go there without actually saying it, to get around the law. Same way most people think they have to go to the dealership that they bought the car at for "factory" service or warranty claims.

Nationwide always makes it sound like you must use a "Blue Ribbon" body shop or Safelite glass, but they do not actually say that because it's against the law.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:08 AM

SS Bumper covers

I finally gave up on finding used SS bumper covers for the V8 build. I searched all over for anything used in any color and found nothing. The first problem is they are first to be destroyed in a crash. Second is SS's are RARE. Wrecking yards pay top dollar form them and they know what they have. They sell SS parts for almost what the dealer gets. I finally went to Chevy and bought them new.......not cheap.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Pyropanel had an SS front bumper cover in primer, PM him and see if he still has it