General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

G.M. dealerships in vancouver canada are crappy.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 09:49 PM

G.M. dealerships in vancouver canada are crappy.

hi! Firstly, I would like to ask if there are any members here from Vancouver, Canada. Secondly, I would like to ask those members if they had a positive or negative sales and service experience with the various G.M. dealerships in metro Vancouver. So far, my own experience trying to locate or deal with G.M. has been pretty crappy overall. Metro Vancouver has a population of 2.5 million or so people with about 600,000 in the city itself. There are about 3 large G.M. dealerships within 10-20 minutes driving time from my house. A few weeks ago i went and test drove a base chevy HHR. They had only 6 in total...one inside and 5 on the lot. All were base models with automatics trans. I made it clear i wanted a 5 speed manual LT version to compare but nobody has one . I left my name and number, showed the sales goof my 2004 honda civic that i wanted to trade in and also mentioned i was very much interested in the HHR Turbo edition coming out in november. Not one follow up phone call. I left 2 detailed emails with the general sales managers and nobody has responded in over a week now. One week ago and again today, I drove to another large G.M. dealership where i bought a new chevy beretta in 1995. Both times the dickhead salesmen just did absolutely nothing to even acknowledge i was a potential customer. I even said hello to one but he just said nothing and walked by me . This is why i think I GIVE UP on even looking at another G.M. product. I doubt i will wait for the turbo model anymore. American brand dealerships are lousy at customer sales and service. What a huge difference between buy my honda civic in 2004 and going to G.M. dealerships only to test drive or inquire about a product. Very very discouraged and lost faith in the product .
Old 10-08-2007, 09:56 PM

Shouldn't the products speak for themselves...don't let bad salespeople rub you the wrong way. They should want you sale and money. If they don't go somewhere else.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:16 PM

Yeah, don't let your experience with obviously crappy salespeople deter you from looking at a GM product.

We had similar issues with a couple of GM dealerships here in the Ottawa area, so we walked away from them.

We did find one gem of a dealership to deal with and have since given them our repeat business. The HHR is our fourth GM product we have taken delivery of from them.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:22 PM
Banned

Gee, you sound so respectful yourself with the whole "sales goof" and "dickhead" comment...wonder why nobody took you seriously?

5-speed LTs are hard to find anywhere, especially with the 2.4 engine.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:45 PM

hhr crafty...maybe if you went thru what i gone thru for the last 5 attempts at trying to test drive a hhr you would also say the same. I have plenty of patience, i am not a 20-something pissed because i didnt get any attention. ALSO, each time i went i smiled and made eye contact, trying to initiate conversation. I guess i am asking any members here from the vancouver area where they purchased their hhr and if they can recommend a good dealership .

Last edited by chooch; 10-08-2007 at 10:52 PM. Reason: added more
Old 10-09-2007, 09:42 AM
Platinum Member

CHOOCH - I am from the Vancouver area as well - and have had similar experiences at various dealerships. I too have been totally ignored as if I didn't exist (did I have my invisibility cape on? - Nope!! JK). One thing very apparent to me during those incidents was that other potential customers that came onto the lot AFTER me, were jumped on by the salespeople.

The only conclusion I could come to after several incidents like this was that the other customers were Asian, and I was not. At one Honda dealership I even went and stood next to a couple salesmen that were looking out over the lot from the showroom, and as far as I could tell, I didn't exist to them. But sure nuff, the next customer that stepped on the lot that was Asian sent one of the salesmen into a sprint to attend to them. I even made two trips to that Honda lot as I could not believe my experience on my first visit (I really wanted an Accord).

Needless to say, I'll not deal with a shop like that.

One thing that seems to make a difference is if you walk onto the lot with your significant other.

Have you tried Dennison GM out in Richmond? I would not call them perfect, but they have been fair in my dealings with them, and they have some great people in their parts department. I bought my HHR from them in 2005 (from an Asian salesman who was GREAT - how ironic eh?) and have been pretty happy with them.

HHRCRAFTY is right in that 5 speed LT's are hard to find. That would have been my preference, ith the 2.4 motor, but at the time, all that was readily available were the automatics - turns out the automatic is kinda fun too.

Best of luck.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:14 AM

Sorry to hear all this. I can say that of the new cars I have purchased (3 of which were Honda's). The purchase of this HHR (an LT 5speed ) is the only new car where the dealership keeps contacting me after. I even got a letter from the internet sales manager that worked out my deal (before I even set foot on the lot) asking how I still liked my HHR one year later.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:39 PM
Platinum Member

I'm not acknowledging this as correct and proper but,.......

was wondering if your age had anything to do with it.

When I PARK in the customer parking area of any dealership, I get swarmed by sales people and I'm in some dealerships about twice a week, to visit friends, purchase parts. I'm an "OLD GUY".
Old 10-09-2007, 12:49 PM

in my late 30's. Has nothing to do with age or how i was dressed or culture/race etc. It was about people who have no idea what true customer service is about. It's not about ass kissing or giving great deals. Its about customer acknowledgment and doing what a salesperson is paid to do . Service the customer in a friendly and professional manner in order to sell a product. Simple as that.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:35 PM

Snoopy... I typically have the same responce when I walk on to a lot. In fact, when we bought the HHR the salesman came over with the keys and a plate while my wife and I were just looking at the car on the lot and didn't even set foot in the showroom...

... also only in my mid 30s...

Quick Reply: G.M. dealerships in vancouver canada are crappy.