General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

General maintenance rant (Tires Plus)

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 12:25 PM

General maintenance rant (Tires Plus)

I took my car to Tires Plus yesterday to have two front tires (Firestone) on, paid for the whole shoot n' match. Mounting, balancing, alignment, disposal...blah blah blah. I was told I was given an all points courtesy check as well...Questionable.

As exemplary as their customer service is at the counter, I'm starting to question what goes on in the garage and on the rack. I got in the car this morning, and the thing was showing an ABS warning light. Made sure the E brake was totally disengaged, pumped the brakes a few times, turned it on and off a few times...still shows.

Decided to test the brakes down the block, checked out fine.

Get on the highway, guess what? notable vibration... I called them, and the earliest they can get the car in is 7pm tonight...kind of an inconvenient time for such a large service place. Feeling nothing but regret.

I normally take my car to Phase III Auto Repair in Green Bay, WI for the work I can't do myself, but they mainly do major repair. (Tires and alignment aren't in their repertoire.) Privately owned, and customer loyal, I've taken every car I've owned in the last 7 years to them and have never been jerked around. They don't attempt to talk down to you, and bring you in on what's going on.

Lesson learned, avoid all service chains.

End rant.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:35 PM
Founding Member

You might want to make sure all the lug nuts are on tight and that they are flush to the hub.

I would also tell them that you want to see the code when they check it with a scanner (hopefully they have one). That way it doesn't get cleared and you will never know what happened.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:11 AM

I'm from Door County and just had tires replaced at Pomp's and was VERY satisfied. It was on our Avenger, 18" wheels, they were a good price but they worked with me to get the right tire too. I also had some problems (it was the car, not the tires) and they got me back in and took care of everything they could. I was very impressed and happy.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by photomatt
I'm from Door County and just had tires replaced at Pomp's and was VERY satisfied. It was on our Avenger, 18" wheels, they were a good price but they worked with me to get the right tire too. I also had some problems (it was the car, not the tires) and they got me back in and took care of everything they could. I was very impressed and happy.
HaHa Pomps gets a thumbs up from me. When I used to drive semi trucks they were the go to guys.