General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Got in an accident today...My poor HHR :(

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 01:42 AM

Unhappy Got in an accident today...My poor HHR :(

I am sooooo incredibly sad (not to mention sore)! I was sitting there minding my own business, had been stopped at a stoplight when all of a sudden got rammed from behind with such force that I then bounced off the person in front of me as well (and they hit the person in front of them as well).

Got towed away (that was one of the saddest parts...my poor HHR leaving without me <sniff, sniff>), so now tomorrow the insurance company is going to look at it and hopefully let me know if it's fixable or totaled in a few days.

I'm unsure what to think at this point, I need a pity party. Everyone says it's just a car and can be replaced and I agree...But still, it was my HHR! I loooveeddd it, and I feel like even if they can fix it...it won't ever be the same Not sure if I could find a 2011 at this point?

I just realized I have no idea how to post pics either... :-/

ETA: Figured it out I think....?

The front view of my HHR at a distance:

The guy behind me that is the one that got ran into, and then pushed into me:

A closer pic of the front end:

The back driver's side:

The back more on the passenger side:

And apparently what it looks like with your airbag deployed

I'm still amazed that the HHR help up as well as it did - amazing really considering the force, the yellow truck hit all of us probably going close to full speed while we were stopped for the red light (5 cars involved including the yellow truck)...Guess I will find out what the insurance company is going to want to do with this, I'm a little worried :-/

Anyone else ever have an accident in their HHR like this before? I'm curious of the outcome if they fixed it or not?

Last edited by CeliaFoote; 02-17-2012 at 02:04 AM. Reason: Add picture?
Old 02-17-2012, 02:31 AM
Rest In Peace

Damn.

Hate when that happens. Sadly once the airbags go off most seem to have been Totalled. (Saves the Insurance company money, and liability)

Fixable yes, but Never the Same.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:56 AM

Jenny - Sorry to see/read this but very glad you are alright. Looking at the car behind you I too am truely amazed at how good your car held up.

For the fixing vs not, IME, when I worked at a dealership, it mostly depended on the cost of repair vs the bluebook of the car. I actually replaced over 10 frames (GMC trucks) in a 2 year span because our dealership would keep the cost down to just under the BB so the truck would not get totalled. Those were actually super fun jobs to do and they paid very well. But back to you. If the A-pillar is damaged then the car will generally be totaled but airbags going off in newer cars with decent BB value will tend to be repaired. Your front end damage does not seem bad at all. Your rear damage will be more what will determine the outcome here IMHO because that is where the most costs will be and it is structural. Your car looks to be 09 and up and an LT so you may have enough BB value to offset a lot of costs. Heck my 07 had a BB of over 9k back when I bought it in October. I just looked up an 09 LT auto 2.2l 65k and it came up around 9-10k private party and over 11k retail so I think you have a good chance of getting your car fixed.

EDIT:just noticed your exhaust tip and am thinking you have a 2.4l. This makes your BB even higher more then likely sans extra miles that is lol.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by 07azhhr
Jenny - Sorry to see/read this but very glad you are alright. Looking at the car behind you I too am truely amazed at how good your car held up.

EDIT:just noticed your exhaust tip and am thinking you have a 2.4l. This makes your BB even higher more then likely sans extra miles that is lol.
I am definitely happy that I was in my HHR - I think it sacrificed itself for me, so I did not get hurt toooo badly. I have one helluva bruise on my inside arm from the airbag, bruises from the seatbelt, and my right knee hit the dash...But overall, I'm in really good shape considering the yellow truck probably didn't even attempt to stop prior to impact.

Amazingly the car behind me was a Toyota Camry (part of his bumper was actually in front of my car after the accident :-/)

I do have the 2.4L, and about 90k miles which probably kills part of my BB value - not sure what they'll come up with as far as values and repair. The front end didn't look too bad to me initially, but after scanning the pics several times today I'm just noticing like every little thing like hood dents, bumper, quarter panels, etc.

I get to take a look at it tomorrow again, and gather all my belongings out of it before it gets towed to the insurance claims investigation center...What fun :-P

Last edited by CeliaFoote; 02-17-2012 at 03:16 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 02-17-2012, 07:11 AM

Glad you are Ok

Jenny... sad to see the HHR bent up like that

Hope you can get it fixed or maybe replaced...
Old 02-17-2012, 07:34 AM
Premium Member

Glad you are Ok,...x10
Old 02-17-2012, 07:46 AM
Banned

Glad you are alive, sorry to hear that your HHR was rammed pretty bad.. Hope things work out for you..

Also, I would check www.cars.com and see if there are any 2011 HHR's around you.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:25 AM
Deceased

Aw Jenny, I'm so sorry to hear your day ended up like it did, but he fact that you're OK is all that really matters.

Take things one day at a time and be sure to give yourself time to heal, I've found that out the hard way after getting clobbered by Mr. Drunk Driver in December.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:30 AM
Banned

Also, what was that big box truck? A tree service truck? Or a Municipal vehicle?
Old 02-17-2012, 08:32 AM

Quick Reply: Got in an accident today...My poor HHR :(