General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

ground clearance

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 09:03 AM

ground clearance

I haven't seen any numbers on ground. worried about speed bumps, etc.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:06 AM

it depends on what size wheels you have..
Old 03-29-2006, 07:54 AM

It doesn't matter 16" or 17" and I'm not into lowering one.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by fishbreath
It doesn't matter 16" or 17" and I'm not into lowering one.
so why are you worried about ground clearance?
Old 03-29-2006, 09:11 AM

Like I said before speed bumps at work, and less then perfect roads in PA, snow. snow plowed up along side of roads. Sometimes I have to park in unpaved lots. Not everbody lives in a perfect area.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:23 AM

You will no problems with speed bumps, ESPECIALLY if you're not going to lower your HHR. One thing you don't have to worry about the HHR is ground clearance.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:32 AM
Banned

I'm not lowered and I have scraped. I have scraped hitting pot holes, speed bumps, and once coming out of a buddys driveway. Last week I hit a really deep pot hole and I swear the front of my HHR scraped. When that happened I made my decision to never lower my HHR. It will be too much of a nightmare with the road conditions in my area. Double speed bumps kill your HHR!

Last edited by captain howdy; 03-29-2006 at 11:26 AM.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by fishbreath
Like I said before speed bumps at work, and less then perfect roads in PA, snow. snow plowed up along side of roads. Sometimes I have to park in unpaved lots. Not everbody lives in a perfect area.
Who lives in a perfect area? Nearly every road in Palm Beach county is under construction of some sort..Just have to drive with a little care..

I assumed by you asking about ground clearance you meant with it lowered.I guess your post just doesn't make sense to me since the HHR isn't an offroad vehicle.Its no different gorund clearance wise than any other vehicle on the road built on a car platform.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
I'm not lowered and I have scraped. Last week I hit a really deep pot hole and I swear the front of my HHR scraped. When that happened I made my decision to never lower my HHR. It will be too much of a nightmare with the road conditions in my area.
When you lower your vehicle, you become keenly aware of obstacles in the roadways. I would find myself scanning the road much farther ahead than normal to keep from coming up on any surprises. In heavy traffic, I would watch the cars ahead to see if they dipped or bounced over certain sections of roadway which could be a potential pot hole. After awhile it just becomes normal and you don't think about it anymore.

Speed bumps were never much of an issue for me. I would just take them at a 45 degree approach so that only one wheel would cross over at a time. That would generally keep the frame from touching down. The most troublesome spots were steep angle driveways... When going down you could drag nose and tail. And going up you can hang the frame. But you learn to avoid those at all costs!

I once hit a cat crossing the highway at night. With a normal height vehicle it may have passed under and survived, but with only 4 inches of ground clearance, he got dragged for awhile until I could stop (God bless him, I don't like hurting animals). After that, I had a pinstripe guy paint across the front air dam, "Max Headroom: 4 inches. Taller Creatures Risk Decapitation".
Old 03-29-2006, 12:03 PM
Banned

My Mustang was lowered and I cracked an exhaust maniford scraping my exhaust coming out of a steep driveway. My mustang wasn't that much lower than stock either, only about an 1" or so of difference. I am especialy worried about lowering my HHR seeing as how I am about to put a neon kit on. I'll be cracking tubes left and right if I lower it.

Quick Reply: ground clearance