General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

ground clearance

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
I am especialy worried about lowering my HHR seeing as how I am about to put a neon kit on. I'll be cracking tubes left and right if I lower it.
Do they have LEDs you could use instead?
Old 03-29-2006, 12:21 PM
jx3

Originally Posted by AlienHHR
I once hit a cat crossing the highway at night. With a normal height vehicle it may have passed under and survived, but with only 4 inches of ground clearance, he got dragged for awhile until I could stop (God bless him, I don't like hurting animals).
It would not have mattered if it was lowered or not, the outcome would have still been the same for that cat. When I had my Suzi 4x4 with stock tires at factory height, I ended up killing a cat that darted in front of me while I was doing 50 mph.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:42 PM

After I lowered my HHR, I measured the ground clearance at 5-1/2" from the bottom of the running boards to the deck. That should be enough to clear any speed bump. As Alien stated above, driving a lowered car requires special care on the part of the driver. Scanning the roadway should be a normal part of your driving habits; unless you don't care about damaging your car. With a stock HHR - I wouldn't even worry about it - they are not that low.

Car manufacturers design production automobiles to perform adequately on bed roads (have you ever seen factory bump test tracks!?! ) - and the HHR's stock suspension provides a "cadillac" ride.

Nothing to worry about.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:46 PM

I am especialy worried about lowering my HHR seeing as how I am about to put a neon kit on. I'll be cracking tubes left and right if I lower it.
I don't agree with this at all. The exhaust system is the lowest part under an HHR - and it will hit the ground before any other part touches. As long as you mount the neon kit higher than the lowest point, you won't be scraping or breaking tubes. It only makes sense to mount a neon kit directly to the underbody as this is the furthest from the ground.

Of course, no two people drive the same either!
Old 03-29-2006, 12:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Skatetheglobe
Do they have LEDs you could use instead?
I like neon better than LEDs because neon gives off a way cooler glow. LEDs are cool if you like your lights to flash, chase, and change colors but if you want a good solid glow in one color neon is the way to go. With neon the glow is brighter, more consistant, and non directional. I didn't even consider LEDs because I dont like them.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:12 PM

I scan the roadways now and my HHR is not lowered. Scanning roadways, driveways, parking lots, etc. Even if there is a steep exit out of a parking lot, i find a better exit. As far as speed bumps, I also do the 45 degree angle. I guess that part is just a habit because I've been practicing that concept for several years. I always figured it was less strain on your struts, but Holy MOON CRATERS, BATMAN! Seems like you live on or near a military bomb test site, Capt'n H.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:43 PM

I like neon better than LEDs because neon gives off a way cooler glow. LEDs are cool if you like your lights to flash, chase, and change colors but if you want a good solid glow in one color neon is the way to go. With neon the glow is brighter, more consistant, and non directional. I didn't even consider LEDs because I dont like them.
I think my led are really consistant and solid. I was afraid it was gonna look like I had 20 flashlights underneath my car, but noone can tell they are led unless im flashing them.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:44 PM
jx3

Originally Posted by adamlowery
I think my led are really consistant and solid. I was afraid it was gonna look like I had 20 flashlights underneath my car, but noone can tell they are led unless im flashing them.
Have any pix or video?
Old 03-29-2006, 05:14 PM
Banned

I'll take plenty when I'm done.