General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Had money but salesman was a jerk

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 08:00 AM

Had money but salesman was a jerk

Last week (nov 21st) I was in a town about 30 mins from my home for work so I thought I would stop in and ask about a HHR. I have been looking for a few weeks for the perfect one for me with little luck. Talk with the salesman he said he doesn't have it on the lot but can get in. Then he asks me to put a down payment on the car, told him I'm not putting money on a car I have not seen yet. But if it is what you promise and we can come to a deal on my trade I will take it.

My wife and I went over on Sat to test drive the HHR and let him look at our trade. We drive the car it looks like what I want, does have some scratches and a dent nothing I can't live with. It took the salesman 10 mins to say anything to my wife and that is only after I introduce her so he doesn't have a choice. We go to talk prices and was told "Your trade isn't worth what we thought so we can't do anything extra to the HHR". I'm thinking ok I haven't ask for anything extra at this point. I then asked does it come with two keys and remotes? He said it only came with one. On my first trip I told him I want to have two and as he was a Chevrolet dealer that should be easy for him to program it and save me $100 he agreed then to give me two. At this point he has a attitude and has changed the deal. He does agree to get us another key and remote but it might take a few days to find one.

We walked out side and told my wife the car has just about everything. I would like running boards and rain guards to be my "perfect" car but those aren't deal breakers I can add those my self if I have to. When we came back in I told him we want to talk it over at dinner so can we get our keys (our trade in). A manager walks over, my wife and I hold out our hands to take the keys. He all but pushes between us to throw them on the table. "The deal is today only" and walks off. That this point I'm getting upset but I will be nice for the deal.

I told the salesman "I'm I firm believer if God wants me to have this car I will get it, so if the deal is diff on Monday and I don't get the HHR so be it." He then tells me "I think God wants you to have this car and maybe you can ask Santa to get it for you".

At this point I tell him I don't need attitude and there are lots of other HHRs have a good day.

Don't be rude to my wife.
Don't go back on your word.
Don't be rude to me.
Don't belittle my faith.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:14 AM

im sorry to hear about this experience ..
im a car salesmen , and Ive been on the buying side a dozen times ..
i make a strong effort to NOT be like the salesmen Ive had before
i make a effort to make everyone's buying experience with me be happy and remembered
with that said, i have 3 hhrs on my lot, and access to 16 others :)
Old 11-27-2011, 08:25 AM

Good for you. In general, I can't stand car salesmen. However, I ended up with our HHR because I stumbled on a non-typical salesman (i.e. a real human being) and he struck me so much that we did a deal. Good luck!
Old 11-27-2011, 09:09 AM

Hey warhawk. I noticed your thread and felt compelled to respond as I had the same experience a few weeks ago. I ended up trading in my HHR, but almost walked away from it all because of the salesman. On the way out, I stopped and had a talk with the manager about the terrible behavior and sales tactics the salesman tried to use. I came back later, because the price was very decent on the Escape I purchased, and was surprised to see the same salesman was going to help us. It was funny, however, as you could tell he had been given a lecture and was apologizing for everything.

I just noticed you are in Fort Wayne. Care to mention the dealership so I know to avoid it?
Old 11-27-2011, 09:43 AM

I absolutly HATE buying a car just for this reason... WHY do they think this tactic works to sell a car... I would have asked for the GM... let him know and then walk away with my trade and cash to another dealer that has a nicer HHR... I got my beauty at Enterprise car sales... It was a former rental... only 35k and I got new car financing... they people where super nice and made sure I was happy at the end...
Old 11-27-2011, 09:52 AM
Deceased

Here's how to buy a new vehicle...or at least how I'd do it.

1. Research the invoice price if its new, the wholesale value if its used.

2. Determine your budget, never shop on payments...ever!

3. Research the value of your trade.

4. Be prepared to sell your vehicle instead of trading it in order to get more out of it.

5. When you arrive at the dealership, ask for the general manager or the sales manager, negotiate only with them.

6. On a new vehicle offer $300 over the invoice price which you already know from step one.

7. On a used vehicle offer $500 over wholesale book value which you already know from step one.

8. Once you've arrived at an agreement with the dealer, drive your new purchase home and smile knowing you never had to deal with a salesman.

If the dealership won't deal with you or uses high pressure tactics, walk away, if the pre-sale makes you uneasy...imagine six months down the line when you have a problem, how do you think they'll treat you then?
Old 11-27-2011, 09:57 AM

Never give them your keys.
Never give them your drivers license
Never give them a deposit (until the deal is done and in writing).

Jim
Old 11-27-2011, 10:00 AM
geg

rough seller spoils life for all, including his own life. He deserves the punishment as "the loss of a client."
Very true idea, Warhawk - if God (or Satan?) Wants the car was yours, this car will be yours. So do not make any unnecessary movements.

If you're interested, I can share my experience. In 2002, I owned a "LADA 21099". This car I bought in the police because the car was seized in a single large bandit and murderer. A very small price, I tempted to do so. The car no problems until it was time to sell it. Then began the miracles - the car would not be sold. Quite serviceable starter stopped spinning in the presence of a potential buyer, but worked fine after a few minutes after his departure. Another focus in the presence of a lady - the engine was shaking like a paralytic, but the engine settled down after the departure of the lady. The car would not go away from me. I gave the car for professional seller and The car was finally sold. After 3 hours after the sale on the highway Ekaterinburg - Tyumen he killed the new owner and his friend.
So Fate decreed. These two guys were supposed to die that day. The Devil kept the car until such time as these people do not appear in Ekaterinburg, but when it's time - the deal was very easy.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:07 AM

You are far more patient than I am with that stuff. I would have let him now what an ass he was at the first showing of disrespect and more so with every time he showed it. I've been disrespected too many times in my life (far too many) to let it slide just a little bit anymore.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:44 AM
Administrator

I was promised several repairs to smal dents and scratches, when I went in for the OLF and touch ups the service manager told me they were not there when the car was sold to me and they would not be repaired, thankfully I had my trusted digital camera with me and showed him pictures of his very own hand pointing to the scratches and the date viewer was on the screen, all I said was "Busted", and" I'll pick up the car at noon tomorrow!!", It was fixed and done very well! I don't like Mondays!! Rainy days and salespeople always get me down!!

Quick Reply: Had money but salesman was a jerk