General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Had money but salesman was a jerk

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 11:40 AM

The dealer is City Chevrolet in Columbia city.

Talked to another guy and his father in-law has bought trucks there for years but a few months ago went in and they where jerks so he is buying from a diff dealer. Kinda glad it wasn't just me. I did hear they got bought so new management in the last few months.

I will be buying two cars and I plan on spending $20,000. While that isn't a lot to some it is to me.

I might call the manager tomorrow
Old 11-27-2011, 11:56 AM

In 1954 I wanted to buy a new VW and trade a 1950 Ford Convertible heavy mocigied as I wanted to be in some car shows, I was ready to sign the papers they had changed the papers the price had doubled and my car hadbeen sold with the new owner in my 1950 Ford I had to climb over the sales Mgr.s desk and pull ther guy out of my 1950 Ford,
Old 11-27-2011, 01:25 PM

I don't wish bad on them but if they don't treat people better they will be out of business.

Wonder if I need to talk to anyone higher then a sales manager? Or could I talk to anyone higher?
Old 11-27-2011, 01:32 PM

Hey, Warhawk... I was actually thinking it might be City. Recently, before changing owners, Thomsons used to be fantastic! They have cleaned house with all new people, and they have already developed a reputation as being crooked. They now own the Ford dealership in Columbia City - was Trier - as well as the Chevy place in Warsaw. I believe the same owners own a few other lots in Fort Wayne as well. I actually purchased my SS there when it was Thomsons and had all work done there. I took it in once when it became City and will never go there again.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:10 PM

Wow, you would think bad sales practices would be a thing of the past! Maybe they'll learn, maybe they won't.

I looked at two HHRs. Dealer one huffed (sighed) when I asked for the keys to look inside. I left and never went back. Dealer two took such great care of me, was straight forward through the negotiating process, AND called me twice after the purchase to make sure everything was good. I even took the car in for a front end check and was treated great.

I won't waste my time or money on anything less than awesome service. There are dealers and salespeople who still believe in earning your business. I'm with 843de on dealing with the sales manager only (or the #1 salesperson). There is a reason they are in that position.

Jharte
Old 11-27-2011, 02:14 PM

Our local Chevy dealer changed hands three times since I’ve been around here. Each time near the end of the previous dealership the mechanics get sacked and they end up with independent service technicians in the back.

The prices go through the roof and quality of the repair work goes dramatically down.

They also sack the sales people then wonder why they can’t sell a vehicle. Since the new guy has had it he has hired several GM certified service techs to work in the back and the quality of the service is passable but many times I know more about what is wrong with a vehicle than they seem to.

They are simply inexperienced with them. They are learning pretty quickly but still,… I’d rather have someone who actually has the experience over someone who just has book learning behind them.

My dad was a professional mechanic for many years. Because of that I managed to pickup quite a bit myself. He could listen to an engine running and tell you what was most likely wrong with it no electronic gadgetry just his ears and brain.

Most of the time he was right.

The sales crew he has now are very eager to make a sale and follow up just a bit more than I really care for. They seem to be calling or sending a card or letter all the time and we only bought a used vehicle from them this time.

Its all good but man, let me alone already.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:28 PM
Deceased

Our Chevrolet dealer has changed hands three times also Grizzly, in the last ten years its gone from a family owned place to part of a chain with a reputation for screwing folks over.

They keep sending me postcards offering "$5,000 over book for your 2007/2011 HHR on any of our specially priced 2011's!", by specially priced they mean full boat sticker with an added $750 dealer pack for paint sealant etc.

I now deal with a dealer one town over who sells me new vehicles at invoice, has a fantastic service department, and folks who have been there for decades. Its hard to go wrong with Ben Mynatt Chevrolet/Cadillac in Concord NC.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:50 PM

Chevy has weeded some dealers but they need to weed more. With the way laws are it makes it difficult for MFG to deal with some dealers. I have seen it done but they are limited on what they can do.

There are good salesmen and dealers do if you hit a bad one there is no reason to stay. If they want your money they need to treat you right. If they treat you bad now what will warranty issues be like later?

Like stated before go in prepared on what the cost and values are. Know what you want to pay and stay firm.

Take a friend to keep you from car fever as too many guys make mistakes near a new car.

My HHR was purchased Via E mail while I was at work. I did my planning and e mailed my dealer what I wanted and what I wanted to pay the last day of the month. They came back $2500 under the price another dealer offered and came with in $300 to the price I wanted. I gave them my price again and said I would take it today at this price and they came back that I just bought a car. Because of this they sold me two cars in two weeks since I had to buy my mother a car too. Treat me right get my money, treat me bad and you get nothing. Note I payed way less than many here did on a SS and I did not even step foot into the dealer till I went pick it up.

I will tell you the web is your friend as you can get most of the needed info on the car and sitting away from the car make you less emotional and prevents them from using the car against your better judgment.

There are more 2011 out there and any good dealer can bring one in. Life is too short for bad deals.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:57 PM

Fitzgerald in Gaithersburg, MD

When I bought our HHR, it was an internet search that took me to Fitzgerald. I was leery, because we're talking about a place only 20 miles from DC, but a little over 100 minutes from where I live. I had called and asked about the HHR, was told it was available and set up a time to look at it. I wanted to trade my '93 Capri in - didn't want the hassle of selling it - and knew I would take a little bit of a beating on it.

Checked out the HHR, took it for a test drive, loved it. Got down to talking numbers and was pleasantly pleased with the deal and the way everyone I dealt with was bending over backwards to make things decent for us. One of the ignition keys didn't work properly, so they gave me a slip to take to any of their dealerships and I could get a new key cut. Needless to say, I drove the car home and said auf wiedersehen to the Capri. A month later, I went to the Fitzgerald dealer in Frederick, MD and got a new key - no questions asked.

Now, that is how all car buying should be.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:24 PM

Come to think of it I found my GTP in Southern Ohio at a price that was crazy. I called them and they said that car was sold but they had one with the Comp G package. I said I could not afford that high of one since it stickered near $32K and the standard GTPs in my area were going for $27K.

He told me I could get it for $23,700 if I wanted it. I went down the next day expecting the car to be gone. Well it was there and still wrapped up fromt he truck. We drove it before anyone other than the truck driver. We test drove it and the wife said she wanted it.

Next we went in for the deal. I told her they will come back and say they made a mistake and jack the price up. Well He came back and said we made a mistake on one discount package but he could give us another discount that was out. He gave me the price and it was within the $23 of what I was quoted on the phone.

We got lucky as it was a loaded car at a small town dealership with new managment. They has little hope of moving a car when they mostly sold based model Grand Am's and pick up trucks. They wanted this off the floor plan and sold 3 loaded GTP's cheap just to get them off the plan.

I had been shopping for several months and took my time. Never get in a hurry to buy a car. If you get in a hurry you will lose money.

Note the end of the month in slow sale months dealers need to get cars off their floor plan. THis is the payment they need to make on the cars they hold. THey will do things to make the deal happen as it will save them money to discount the car a little more vs making the fixed payment.

Quick Reply: Had money but salesman was a jerk