General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Headlight Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 01:35 PM

Headlight Bulbs

Has anyone experimented with H13 led headlight lamps? They are supposed to be plug in, they also talk about built in cooling fans. I am not sure about the clearance behind the headlight housing and the inner fender well.
Thanks
Old 11-10-2017, 02:05 PM

I have to ask. Why do you need headlights that bright?
It use to be people running with their high beams on were a pain.
Now it's common place to have bulbs like this in a low beam application, which are a pain.
Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:18 PM
Administrator

I haven’t had them , but I’ve been happy with the lights I have and can’t justify the expense.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Cat Man HHR
I have to ask. Why do you need headlights that bright?
It use to be people running with their high beams on were a pain.
Now it's common place to have bulbs like this in a low beam application, which are a pain.
Just my 2 cents.
Then again, Ron might be more interested in the long life that LED usually offers.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:01 PM

I have used them, plenty of room for the fans. Cool looking led white light.

They do not produce good light output with the reflector, but I have seen new ones that have come out that are supposed to be better and adjustable somehow.

They ended up going out on me and I put in Phillips extreme bulbs and they produced the best halogen output I could get from our reflectors.

I now have a HID retrofit projector and the light output rivals any new car on the road.

If I were to do it again, I would buy the new led projector from morimoto and retrofit it in and have basically lifetime headlights with great light output.

By the way...

Never put in HIDs in a stock reflector you will blind people, the LEDs can do that too.

HIDs require a wiring harness and ballast that produces 35k volts which can be dangerous, and the bulbs aren’t that safe either.

That being said, if you use HIDs they can be safe to work on while off and use gloves when touching the bulb incase it breaks, and never look into it while it is on, it’s very bright and can output UV. Luckily the UV is contained in the bulb and if any were to escape it would have to go though the projector glass and then the anti UV coating headlight lens on your car.

but, on the other hand...
An LED projector has all of the benefits of HIDs, but they are very safe, they directly plug into your stock wiring with an adapter and without the need for a ballast or wiring harness, they do not produce UV and do not have a bulb to replace.
The only down side for me is that the bulb can not be replaced so it can not be easily repaired when it goes out, but they are supposed to last forever.

Not sure if you wanted to be educated on headlights, but there you go. :)

Last edited by Oldblue; 11-10-2017 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Housekeeping
Old 11-10-2017, 08:52 PM

I should also add that although leds look cool from the outside, they do not produce anywhere near the depth or detail of whats in front of you that standard halogen bulbs do. They wash out everything with even light, so there is less shadowing, which minimizes your perception of what you're looking at. This is why I only use leds for brakes and markers.

I would love to use leds for headlight because of their long life, but I'd rather see better.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:11 AM

Update, I went with the standard lamps. With luck they will get installed today if something else doesn't pop up in the way. Thanks for the input. Maybe by the next time they will be improved. I am getting too old to lay on the ground to work on a car. It's getting too hard to get up.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:48 AM

Wait!

We're supposed to be able to get back up?

Must'a missed that memo...
Old 11-17-2017, 08:13 AM
Administrator

I go in from the side, no need to lift the car or lay down on the job!
Old 11-17-2017, 08:20 AM

Same here I just go in from the wheel well. Also, check your headlight adjustment they might be too low! Unless you put LED bulbs in a housing made for them, the light projection is terrible. When Gregg was at the doctors office (dealership) after his accident, they gave me a loaner 2016 corolla that had LED lights standard. In an OEM application, I have to say they were the BEST headlights I have ever driven behind, and offered great visibility.