General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

HHR great in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 11:12 PM

Lighter cars bad, heavy cars good.......

I grew up with heavy Rear wheel drive cars in the snow. I learned the zen of rwd winter driving and had little trouble until I got lighter cars. The Buick Park Ave and Olds 98's handled fine under my command. The Dodge Coronet wagon was just scary.
Chrysler's are just too light. My Voyager Mini van was ok, but handles better with a load. Too bad it went through four engines and five trannys!
My '62 Skylark was ok, but I'd lose control because it was a three on the tree and I suck at shifting manual three on the trees!
It was also the first car I ever did a 360 i when I did not want to one winter night on a busy back road in Amherst Ma. I should be dead. The cqar had radials, but was too light for the snow.
then I moved to Corvairs and snow driving was always great. Put the main drive under the engine and things just work better in my book. Hence I usually like most FWD and only really like RWD cars that have the engines in the back!
Ok, or real heavy suckers. Same goes for FWD to a point.
Our Taurus SHO was fine in the snow . I ran performance tires on it for twelve years and never had a problem I could not deal with.

The most dangerous newer car I have driven was our five speed standard Vibe. I sold it after one winter of driving. I have never been more scared of a car. It would move backwards on me on snowy hills and hit other cars. The tires were reasonably grippy Toyos. I replaced the stock ones 'cause they were dogmeat.

The Vibe is just too light for snow and is over tired. Plus I am now not to good at shifting in snow , I would guess. Anyway, the car had to go. Nice stereo too.....

Anyway we traded it for the HHR. So far no snow to test out our HHR......
Yes, I'm old . It is an auto with TC and ABS. I'm not a great fan of ABS on some cars, but it has been ok on the HHR.

Best car I've ever ran through the snow that was not all wheel drive has to be my '65 Corvair sedan. Good balance and the old advantage of having a lot of weight over the rear drive train. It helps a lot. The car is either heavy or light depending upon the decvade of refference your mind is in
I do think rwd pickups should be off the road in the snow. Idiots always slide around and hit things in them. Yeah, they could put a pile 'o' heavy stuff in their bed, but then the bed is half full of crap for what reason? Why own a truck then?

I know dudes who take off their rear tailgate to cut back on drag which also takes the normal air pressure that builds with speed off the rear wheels. These idiots make their truck lighter to save on gas and in the process make the roads less safe for all of us. Idoits......
Old 02-01-2007, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by HHRACER

I have owned a total of 4 Chevy's all front wheel drive... and I have never in my life....lost control of my car like i did today!!! Of course i dont have the ABS or traction control....and those firestones!!! my gosh...ive never had anything but Goodyears....and i will never ever ever buy firestone!!!!
Speaking only from my personal experience, Uniroyals have to be the absolute worst tires I've ever owned. I'd rate Firestones only marginally better, and I won't buy them anymore.

I consider Goodyears to be good, but not outstanding. Definitely better than Uniroyal and Firestone though.

The tire I think is far and away the best would be Michelin. In my opinion, they stand head and shoulders above the other three brands I mentioned.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:05 AM

After last night I have to re-think this issue.

With just over 1 inch of snow my HHR handled like crap. It may have been the new tires, but it was horrible!
Old 02-03-2007, 12:44 PM

The only wide tired FWD car I ever owned that did well in the snow was my Sho Taurus. All these other cars that are lighter need skinnier tires for the winter. And that's just physics.
Snows will help, but skinnier snows may help more as they press through the offending snow.

Anyone remember the Volkswagen Bug add with the snow plow driver driving his Bug to get to work during the storm. The Germans knew a light car like the bug had to have skinny tires for snow time.

All season tires make us think there is no way our cars can handle in the snow. The reality is we are lazy and really should get a second set of tires for the winters.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Harpozep
All season tires make us think there is no way our cars can handle in the snow. The reality is we are lazy and really should get a second set of tires for the winters.
Snow tires really do make a difference
Old 02-05-2007, 01:12 PM

Some tips for you all since I drive in winter weather 9 months of the year....

1) frozen windows. when you get your windows to roll down, before you roll them back up, stop the window about .5" before it hits the trim. Let it sit there with your defrost heater on for about 5 minutes...i do this while I'm driving and then roll it up. Your windows stick because when you rolled them down, they got moisture from the warm door on the glass. After they "dry" or evaporate, then roll them back up. I also keep my defrost on or the mixed defrost and floor heater setting as my main setting so it keeps my windows clear and my glass clear of frost.

2) ice in the door jams. It only happens when it first snows and the melt runs down your door jams from the windshield. Brush your car off before you start it and run it a few extra minutes when you are warming it up so the jams melt and evaporate.

3) traction. I have a stick and because of the touchy clutch it's almost impossible to not spin out at traffic lights. Go slow and take your time. Also keep one tire on snow in an icy situation. It helps keep your tires from sliding out from underneath you.

It's a good car in winter, the heater if phenomenal and it handles the road OK. I like the low center of gravity on it and visibility has been good with the defrosts and windshield wipers on front and rear.