General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

HHR LS Swap Rat Rod

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Here’s his thread

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/gene...r-build-48646/
Old 09-25-2017, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Thats the cleanest V8 HHR I've ever seen. I've read his thread probably 20 times now. Amazing work and incredible dedication. I'm not going for anywhere near that build quality, but I think my rat will be pretty nice. Luckily I have a few good bodymen around, it's just figuring out how many beers they charge per job
Old 09-25-2017, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
The inner fenders and radiator support are good for hanging stuff on.

Like the new "open concept" home design. It's great, but without interior walls, where do you hang your photos and artwork?
You're right!! I'll fab up a core support for whatever radiator/condenser I go with. I'm also planning on boxing in where I cut the inner fenders off, and running a nice bent piece of dom tubing going down for support. I'm not really a photos and artwork kinda guy Less junk the better!!
Old 09-25-2017, 05:13 PM
Administrator

Like this Nova clip?

Old 09-25-2017, 05:53 PM

Like this Nova clip?

Exactly!!! Minus the powder coating and tubular a arms I found a complete front clip from a 73 Camaro this morning for $250. Already off the car, has brakes, steering, suspension, and crossmember all there. I'll probably go pick that up Saturday and start figuring out the safest way to join the two. I've got a few ideas running through my head about that. I could cut the factory frame rail level, and weld a piece of 1/4" steel plate to it, do the same for the frame I use and bolt them together. I could also cut and weld the frames together and then weld fish plates onto the frames. Or I could completely remove all of the hhr frame rails, and weld new frame rails from front to back, and weld the new front clip to that. Just really depends on the frame rail width of the front clip I use. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 09-25-2017, 06:12 PM
Administrator

Old hot rod way of getting modern brakes and steering and a V8 to boot, weld in a front frame clip.
I’ve gone so far as welding in an AMC Pacer front piece, it gave me motor mounts for a V8 ( the six cylinder mounts line up fairly nicely) it gave me coil springs, power disc brakes, and power rack and pinion steering, bonus. Put this into a 1946 Ford convertible, back in 1978. That car is still rolling out there I saw it at our Last Chance show last summer, 38 years later, so it has worked well , or somebody would have cut it out years ago!
Old 09-25-2017, 06:38 PM

Old hot rod way of getting modern brakes and steering and a V8 to boot, weld in a front frame clip.
I’ve gone so far as welding in an AMC Pacer front piece, it gave me motor mounts for a V8 ( the six cylinder mounts line up fairly nicely) it gave me coil springs, power disc brakes, and power rack and pinion steering, bonus. Put this into a 1946 Ford convertible, back in 1978. That car is still rolling out there I saw it at our Last Chance show last summer, 38 years later, so it has worked well , or somebody would have cut it out years ago!
Perfect!! I'll go grab that front subframe this weekend. I figure later down the road I can buy a tubular a arm kit and update it if I feel the need. Thanks for the advice!!
Old 09-25-2017, 06:50 PM
Administrator

It a great improvement

How to Install QA1 Race Series Control Arms on a 1973 Camaro

Speedway Motors has them

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/1970-...-Arm,2122.html
Old 09-25-2017, 07:03 PM

Those are perfect, and the price is right!! Might be able to swing an extended set to get the stance I'm looking for. Great find Old blue!!
Old 09-25-2017, 07:08 PM

Looks like they have a lot of good stuff I can use!! I can save a ton of time by leaning on the engineering of others for the critical parts, and make sure everything I put together is strong.

Quick Reply: HHR LS Swap Rat Rod