General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

HHR LS Swap Rat Rod

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2021, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Are you paying any attention to front/rear weight distribution, loaded/unloaded?
Great question Don!! Honestly I haven't given it much thought. With the wheelbase extended 24", I think I'm gonna forever be heavy up front.
When I get the ls motor/tranny, I'm going to do something to set the engine farther back. I've befriended another fabricator (a real automotive fabricator) in town, who builds top notch race car chassis. I think I'm gonna get him to help me build a roll bar for behind the seats, and maybe I can get some ideas for moving the motor mounts back.
Hopefully I'll get the new carpet and interior in by the weekend. Anyone swapped from regular seats to power/heated seats? I got the dash control with the seat heater switches, but I haven't even looked at what I'm gonna have to do for wiring.
Old 08-11-2021, 07:55 AM

The wiring might already be there if it was an LT2, some LT. You will also need the module that lives under the seat.
I was thinking about how nicely the original accepted a load. I put 800-900 lbs in the back and the entire car lowered about 1/2 inch, not just the rear like a p/u truck that loses steering with weight.

Old 08-11-2021, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
The wiring might already be there if it was an LT2, some LT. You will also need the module that lives under the seat.
I was thinking about how nicely the original accepted a load. I put 800-900 lbs in the back and the entire car lowered about 1/2 inch, not just the rear like a p/u truck that loses steering with weight.

They can definitely handle some weight!! One of the things I love about the HHR. Ive loaded them down with concrete before without any issues. Little work horses
Thanks for the wiring diagram My panel is an ls, I doubt it has any wiring for the fancy stuff. I knew I should have grabbed that plastic thing mounted under the seat, didn't know it was a module.I think think car is still over there, I'll swing by and grab it.
Old 08-12-2021, 09:32 PM

Got the old carpet out this evening, had the pleasure of vacuuming water out of the rear passenger pan. Looked at my weather stripping along the tops of the doors, and the seal was pushed off the flat metal it grips around with dirt and debris. Looks like I'll be cleaning that.

Not sure if I got lucky, or previous owner, but one of us did. Thank goodness for non flammable materials. This was on the drivers side

Drivers side connector looks like it only has 2 wires. Passenger side has 8 wires, go figure.

There's also a square plug for each seat. Gonna go get the module tomorrow, maybe the harness if I can get it separated.
Old 08-12-2021, 09:58 PM

I did get the new radio and hvac control w/heated seat switches installed. This radio has a USB port, mine didn't.
Battery has been giving me a fit, doesn't want to take a full charge. One of the "high end" agm batteries This battery was replaced August of '19. I believe the first one lasted about 2 years before going bad. After being on a trickle charge for over 48 Hours (with the switch on "agm" setting), it still didn't trigger the "full charge" green led, nor read full on the little meter. Hooked it up to the car, and it would barely turn the engine over. This isn't a high compression engine, it usually spins over really fast. Im gonna take it to Oriellys tomorrow and have it tested. If it's bad, I'm gonna step down from the Platinum series and get a gold or something. This battery was only used for about 18 months, car has been parked since the beginning of the year. For $200, you would think it would last at least 5 years.
Old 08-14-2021, 06:27 PM

Got the carpet and interior panels installed
Old 08-14-2021, 06:35 PM
Administrator

Very cool two tone interior!
Old 08-14-2021, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Very cool two tone interior!
Thanks Blue!! Gonna have to get me a couple rattle cans to dye the back doors and rear cargo side panels. Hatch is already black since it came from the donor car.
I believe my starter is going bad again. 2 years seems to be the going rate, probably because it's so exposed.