General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

HHR Slot Car!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 08:15 AM

HHR Slot Car!

I had started a conversation about a HHR Slot Car body in another thread & it stirred up quite a lot of interest. I race slot cars (have for many, many years). We have a local commercial track at the mall. They race 1/24 scale cars. These are mostly hand built cars. You buy a chassis, motor, wheels, etc & solder the whole thing together. The bodies they use are clear lexan plastic. You paint the inside of the body with special paint & it looks great. I have an airbrush & I paint all my own stuff. I was looking for bodies on eBay & I saw a P.T. Crusier body . I would NEVER buy one of these but it got me to thinking. I wonder if there is a HHR body somewhere out there. I searched the internet hard & I was able to find a part number. Yes! Now the search was on. Many websites listed this body but they were all sold out. Arggg. Finally I was able to find one (1) in stock & ready to ship. This is what I show you today:

As I expected, a clear slot car body is almost impossible to photograph:

No roof racks but there do appear to be Running Boards & a sun-roof. Yes!

Because of the mold process with slot car bodies, the front bumper came out looking kinda like a SS:

Rear wiper delete:

Here's one of my painted cars:

Starting line shot:

Here's one of the tracks they have at the mall. The Tri-Oval:

All races are run by computer. Here are the results from a hotly contested race:
Old 06-10-2011, 09:18 AM

That's pretty cool that they have our HHR's in lexan bodies. I'm not into slot cars per se, but I definitely appreciate the paint and time it takes to prepare the bodies, cool stuff!

Later
Allex
Old 06-10-2011, 11:57 AM
Deceased

Well that's cool, are you going to do it up, or leave it as is for collectible purposes?
Old 06-10-2011, 12:17 PM

re

my dad and i used to be into slot cars over 30 years ago - its still basically the same today - you built your cars from tubing soldered together - installed the motor and axles and wheels and then did up the clear plastic bodies - i remember the controllers were somewhat expensive for a good one - had coiled telephone cords with 1/4" male plue attached that plugged right into the track in front of your stool - the place we raced had 4 different tracks
it was quite competitive and taken pretty seriously for trophies and bragging rights - we spent alot of friday nites there - this post brought back some really good memories of my dad ( may he r.i.p) - their still racin' em' dad
Old 06-10-2011, 02:44 PM

please post up again when it is finished!
Old 06-10-2011, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by 843de
Well that's cool, are you going to do it up, or leave it as is for collectible purposes?
Oh I will be doing it up. Probably in the winter when outdoor activities are not an option haha
Old 06-10-2011, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by 08bowtie
my dad and i used to be into slot cars over 30 years ago - its still basically the same today - you built your cars from tubing soldered together - installed the motor and axles and wheels and then did up the clear plastic bodies - i remember the controllers were somewhat expensive for a good one - had coiled telephone cords with 1/4" male plue attached that plugged right into the track in front of your stool - the place we raced had 4 different tracks
it was quite competitive and taken pretty seriously for trophies and bragging rights - we spent alot of friday nites there - this post brought back some really good memories of my dad ( may he r.i.p) - their still racin' em' dad
I go in & out of love with the seriousness of the whole thing sometimes. I dont like it when I spend a bunch of money building a car & some dumb-a** crashes you into a wall at high speed (just for fun!).
Also, the chassis are stamped metal nowadays. More durable (& cheaper) to replace when crashed compared to the custom-built chassis of old.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:40 PM

Want to see that painted!
Old 06-10-2011, 03:51 PM

Re

yea style - i can remember some near fist-a cuffs over not racing clean - it was ALOT of work to build a chassis back in those days - the parts were preformed but you still had to do the soldering and some bending - and your right...there was usually a jackass on the track - 1 track had 8 lanes and it could get pretty crazy
Old 06-10-2011, 10:51 PM
Platinum Member

HHR_style-

I'm digging it !!! I would paint the inside shell like a Panel (I'm sure you already may have this plan)..

Then the clear will look a foot deep

I had several Hot-slots.. Very Good memories..

Keep us in the loop, love to see how yours progresses when the time comes..

Quick Reply: HHR Slot Car!