General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

CarFax and a word to the wise

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 05:02 PM

CarFax and a word to the wise

As some of you who have seen my posts know, I am new to the HHR "experience", having bought my first, an "07 2LT, just a couple of weeks ago. To be honest, the reason for the purchase was to have a second vehicle to avoid the miles piling up on my wife's new Subaru Forester. What I bought was a nice-looking "07, with a rare paint color (Golden Teal) and a nice options list. It had 164,00 miles on it but I have seen HHRs with lots more, and the owner seemed genuine in that he professed a history of dealer service (he was the original owner) and the CarFax seemed to support that, with many dealer visits noted. I bought the car, and only then did I do something I would encourage you all to do BEFORE purchase; I asked the original owner to supply me with printouts of the service visits,which he was able to procure from the dealers that did the servicing. What I found was that the car had indeed visited the dealer many, many tomes, and oil changes and such were dutifully performed. However, upon reading the comments on the service receipts, many items were noted by the servicing technician and suggested to the owner, only to be declined. I now find that the slight "clunk" I detect in the front end, now requiring controls arms and struts, was diagnosed over two years ago as a faulty control arm bushing, and declined. Reccomended transmission service was twice declined. It goes on. Conclusion: CarFax is a great tool, but not specific enough.

I guess that I am disappointed, not with the car, but with the previous owners. I have had the transmission service and just bought $740 worth of parts to correct the front end and replace the rear shocks "just because". I have not even looked at brakes, exhaust or cooling system although I see from the stack of stuff that brakes SHOULD be OK for a while. I have bought a gallon of DexCool and will drain and refill next week.It has some riust beginning on the bottom of the doors but that will have to wait.

I hope, after all of this, that I end up with a somewhat reliable car, although I am not ignorant of the 164,000 miles it has already traveled. I like it; it is a nice size and is reasonable economical on fuel. I REALLY like the looks.

Get those service records, if you can,. BEFORE you lay down the Benjamins.

Last edited by Oldblue; 08-10-2018 at 07:04 PM.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:52 PM
Platinum Member

Good advice OldSwede

But, I've got to ask. Knowing what you do now about this car, would you still have bought it ?
Old 08-10-2018, 06:43 PM

I while back I had a Corvette coming off lease and was shopping for a new car. I decided to pay for a one-year unlimited CarFax subscription so I would be able to access reports on my own especially if I went private party. For giggle's sake, I ran a CarFax on the Corvette to see what would come up. It had lots of details correct but it was missing two accidents I had with the Vette about 12-18 months earlier. Since then I have always been a little skeptical of CarFax. I have been told that they had some large payouts for missing accidents and that they are supposed to be more reliable now, I still have my doubts.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:08 PM
Administrator

Most of the stuff your replacing would still need replacing, if the PO had of agreed, 2 years ago.
so, change what you need to change and know the job is done.
Happy motoring!
Old 08-10-2018, 07:14 PM

Yes, I probably would have still bought it (I love the looks and the color) but I would have bargained harder. I am not too busted up about the parts replacement; the intention always was and is to gift the car to one of my grandsons, now at least I can be confident of what the car actually is. No worries; I am much too old to let something like this bother me.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:25 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by OldSwede
Yes, I probably would have still bought it (I love the looks and the color) but I would have bargained harder. I am not too busted up about the parts replacement; the intention always was and is to gift the car to one of my grandsons, now at least I can be confident of what the car actually is. No worries; I am much too old to let something like this bother me.
That's the spirit, & I say the same thing.