General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Horn Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 04:45 PM

Angry Horn Upgrade

I really need to replace this OEM kazoo referred to as a horn!!!! I just want a sound equivalent to a typical large car such as Caddy, Lincoln, GMC, etc. Any ideas or recommendations. Also instructions for same would be helpful.('08 LT)
Thanks,
papajim
Old 06-09-2010, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by papajim
this OEM kazoo
Old 06-11-2010, 09:57 PM

The issue is that the HHR has a single horn. Larger vehicles have two. Most Caddy's have used an A and F note horn thus unique. The GMC and other larger GM vehicles use two horns known as an AM80. Long and short you need to add a second horn. Not a tough issue, just going to dealer getting another of what you you already have and jumping it into this existing power line.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:39 PM

Yeah... My Lumina had one horn go out, so it sounded just like the HHR!!! Like said above, jut add another tone horn, hook it into the same wiring, and you should be good to go!
Old 06-11-2010, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by GBHHR
The issue is that the HHR has a single horn. Larger vehicles have two. Most Caddy's have used an A and F note horn thus unique. The GMC and other larger GM vehicles use two horns known as an AM80. Long and short you need to add a second horn. Not a tough issue, just going to dealer getting another of what you you already have and jumping it into this existing power line.
Damn I'm impressed, you know your horns, good info right there thx
Old 06-11-2010, 11:37 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by GBHHR
And the older Caddys used 3 horns.. That was a classy sound..
Old 06-12-2010, 07:00 AM

Horn

This has been discussed before. The consensus solution seems to be Fiamm El Grande twin horns, purchased from amazon.com. I bought mine at the same time as the special oil filter socket to make $25 for free shipping. I had a dealer install it along with my other aftermarket parts. The horn sounds MUCH better now! All HHRs seem to use the same, sickly, single horn. I don't remember seeing anything that even the SS, with all its improvements, has a better horn. I consider having a horn that gets the attention of the other driver to be a safety issue, and highly recommend this modification. There are pics of the Fiamm horn installed linked from this horn thread: https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...nde#post452117

Last edited by Doctuh; 06-14-2010 at 01:19 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:23 AM

I used the Hella duel horn kit. It was cheap and sounds like a normal car.

Note you will have to do a little wiring. The OE horn has a odd plug that needs cust off and you will have to add a series of short wires to put in the second horn.

You also can use the OE bracket to mount the two new horns too. So no drilling is requires. It is very easy to do.

Make sure no matter what horn you use to mount the open end down.

Now my car sounds like a new Malibu with duals.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:25 AM

Never heard my HHR's horn. I very rarely use a car's horn and think people tend to over use them. (personal opinion) Never heard the horn in my Astro either and I owned that for 5+ years....

Adding a second would work but make sure you check that you aren't exceeding the amperage of the stock fuse/wiring......... Nothing very "cool" about having that great big horn if it pops the fuse when you use it.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:52 AM
Platinum Member

Greybeard. You don't hear the horn when you set the alarm?

Quick Reply: Horn Upgrade