General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

I'm gonna rename my HHR "Trooper" cuz it took another hit tonight...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 09:45 AM

Oh...I wouldn't argue with the cops or even suggest it. I just found it rather odd that they didn't do a report if they were on the scene. It's been so long since I've been in an accident, things may have changed.

They did write a report when my Honda was wrecked when my boyfriend was driving it...but then again, there were 5 cars involved. Two had to be towed and mine was eventually totaled. Guess I'll check with his neice who just became a police officer several months back and find out what the law is here. Hopefully, I won't need to know for anything but general info.

Most important thing is you weren't hurt. Cars can be fixed and/or replaced...it's the humans inside that are the biggest concern. Sounds like you've got the right attitude...hope things go smoothly for you and you get things fixed quickly.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Knighti2
I doubt every state is the same but the officer was correct about the police report but not about the summons.

Here in Virginia, Norfolk to be specific, unless there is an injury or damage over $1000 there is no need for the officer to fill out a police report. We would just fill out an information sheet for both parties.

We do not have to witness the accident to to give someone a summons. If we can determine who the "wrongdoer" was by the damage and accounts given by the parties involved we are "expected" to issue a summons.

Just some info from a former police officer and proud new HHR owner.

Thus rule is in every state, in some states its $500.00 and others its $1000.00
but remember for your rental in case you havent heard the Chevrolet HHr is a Preimum class vehicle. Good Luck!
Old 01-07-2007, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Knighti2
I doubt every state is the same but the officer was correct about the police report but not about the summons.

Here in Virginia, Norfolk to be specific, unless there is an injury or damage over $1000 there is no need for the officer to fill out a police report. We would just fill out an information sheet for both parties.

We do not have to witness the accident to to give someone a summons. If we can determine who the "wrongdoer" was by the damage and accounts given by the parties involved we are "expected" to issue a summons.

Just some info from a former police officer and proud new HHR owner.

This rule is in every state, in some states its $500.00 and others its $1000.00
but remember for your rental in case you havent heard the Chevrolet HHr is a Preimum class vehicle. Good Luck!
Old 01-07-2007, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Z-Man
Thus rule is in every state, in some states its $500.00 and others its $1000.00
Thanks and yes, I do remember reading about that in another thread. I know they will only give me a "Standard" vehicle voucher but I'm wondering if it's worth it to foot the difference myself to upgrade to an HHR... assuming one would even be available.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Z-Man
What car rental company classes the HHR as premium?!?! I can see it being classified as specialty but premium is more along the lines of Buick Lucerne.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:01 PM

Check out the thread below...there is mention of it several times in there.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/war-stories-8/rental-car-hell-4779/
Old 01-07-2007, 12:13 PM

thanks chd, i checked Enterprise and they state Premium as V6 performance and list Dodge Charger and Nissan Maxima. Nationals Premium is more vague but lists Buick Lucerne. Doesn't seem like the HHR falls into either of these ?
Old 01-10-2007, 05:27 PM

The State of Maryland also started doing this several years ago,if no injuries or damage lessthan $1000.00 they won't do a report. I got hit in the right rear door on a '95 Gran Prix about 5 years ago right in front of State Police Barricks in Frederick and They wouldn't even come out to look at the damage.
Told us to file claim thru our insurance companies. Luckily we were both insured by same company so it wasn't a hassle.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:45 AM

That sucks, hope it all works out ok and doesn't take too long. I saw womthing similiar the other day. A woman in a caddy way just cutting in front of people left and right. I was in the company car and was just hoping she would cut me off, there would have been contact.

Originally Posted by courthousedeb
Here in Denver, if the police respond to the scene of an accident, regardless of whether they witnessed it or not, someone is gonna walk away with a citation.
If a cop does not see a violation, he can not issue a ticket. He should have written a report requardless. But can not write a ticket on heresay. He must witness it.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:03 AM

Again states may have different rules but Solman98 your blanket statement on witnessing an event is incorrect.

An officer can write a summons at an accident whether he witnesses the accident or not if he believes he can determine fault.

As I posted above we are expected to write a summons if we are called to an accident.

Even in cases of abuse (ie domestic relations) we will arrest if evidence supports without witnessing said event.

Quick Reply: I'm gonna rename my HHR "Trooper" cuz it took another hit tonight...