General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

intermittent instrument cluster

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2021, 12:36 PM
bc0

intermittent instrument cluster

I have 2011 HHR and suddenly experience instrument cluster rapidly cycles on and off particularly during fresh startup and most notable with colder weather.
When cluster cycles off, all gauges go blank and bottom row is full of light with no numbers, and I hear what sounds like a rapid chatter.
Problem seems to go away once engine is running for a while. When cluster cycles off, all other electricals are NOT affected (such as radio, dome lights, A/C, headlights).
just the cluster is intermittent. Any suggestions? Thanks, BC

Last edited by donbrew; 02-06-2021 at 12:40 PM. Reason: DELETED EMAIL
Old 02-06-2021, 12:46 PM

Have your battery checked. Anything under 12.4 volts is suspect.
If the battery checks out inspect the battery connections if you can move them they are loose. Check the large red wire connection on the under hood fuse box, they sometimes get loose or corroded.
Has the ignition recall been done? LINK TO CHECK RECALL STATUS
Old 02-06-2021, 04:09 PM
Administrator

If all else is just fine all grounds are tight and clean, try a battery lobotomy, dis connect the negative cable at the battery for a full 30 minutes, then reconnect it and tighten the clamp bolt snuggly, over tightening can crack the terminal clamp.

See the crack in this clamp, not hood at all! That has to be replaced.
Old 02-07-2021, 12:59 PM

After taking care of any battery issues as suggested by donbrew and Oldblue, another possibility is a slightly oxidized connection. I have run into this issue over the years in several vehicles.

The most recent was a friend's Pontiac G6 that exhibited very peculiar issues like brake lights working backwards (on until the brake pedal was pushed). This issue happened to be slight oxidation on terminals on the BCM inside the center console (similar position to the HHR's).

The same can happen to fuses. A simple troubleshooting method is, while the battery cable is disconnected, to remove and reinsert the fuses and BCM connectors to clean off the light oxidation. I'm seeing two fuses that feed the IP cluster, Fuse 7 (CLSTR) and Fuse 16 (HVAC/IP IGN) on the BCM. The connector is X4. The harder connector to do this routine to is the one on the back of the IP cluster. This requires pulling the trim panel from in front of the cluster first and then removing the cluster to reach the connection in the back that is removed by releasing and rotating the lever lock out of the way.
Old 02-07-2021, 01:23 PM

You know as much as I have seen the suggestions to check and clean all grounds, I would like to see pictures of all those points on the car.
From front to back if need be.
Old 02-07-2021, 03:00 PM
Administrator

So , if you’re not busy , bust out your camera or your camera phone and post the photos.
There are many photos on the Internet showing the ground locations , Donbrew posted a ground location thread a few years ago.

Last edited by Oldblue; 02-14-2021 at 07:15 AM.
Old 02-13-2021, 07:36 PM

Cluster

I am having the same issue but with the cluster usually not wanting even trying to work (Twice in last two months)
. When it does it is after sitting in sun for several hours, which makes no sense to me. Does this suggest that there is oxidation? I have been told that the cluster relay and all fuses are working/good.
Old 02-13-2021, 10:59 PM

The instrument panel data gets there via the GMLAN. Just one connector on the back. For all practical purposes it is a computer display. If the battery is low or intermittently loses connection the computer data gets corrupted.

1. check all battery related things, should be higher than 12.6 volts engine off.
2. the connector on the back
3. fuses
4. the large red wire connection to the under hood fuse bopx
5. the halves under hood fuse box sometimes get loose.
6. the ignition recall