General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

I've Looked, Can't Find It. LED 3rd Brake Lite?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 03:22 PM
MCT

I've Looked, Can't Find It. LED 3rd Brake Lite?

I've searched and searched on this site, no luck finding the thread so far. Has anyone replaced the stock incandescent third brake light bulbs with LED's? If so, what kind, etc.? Thanks in advance!!!
Old 10-14-2009, 05:31 PM

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/appearance-modifications-discussions-6/led-conversion-3rd-brake-light-14867/
Old 10-15-2009, 10:36 AM
MCT

I might be missing something here, especially since I have not taken apart the third brake light. Why the tear down and addition of the clear plastic? Why not just put the LED bulbs in and be done with it? I was just looking for a part number for the bulbs, etc., really wasn't looking for a project. I'm not sure what this does for the look...... Thanks.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:44 AM

Marty.... I did find those LED bulbs, put them in and a funny thing happened. In the evenings, with the lights on, and at a stop light- putting on a turn signal would cause 2 of the 4 bulbs to sort of flash.... additionally they sort of didnt make that big of a cosmetic difference, so I put the originals back in. That may be happening because I had LED tail lights, Im not sure. But I do have the bulbs- $ 30 for all 4 plus shipping if you want to take a shot at it...
Old 10-15-2009, 11:00 AM

I got the 921-R12 from here:
http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/921-x12.htm
They are not quite as bright as the original, but still pretty good. However the beam is more focused and shows up as four bright spots through the red stoplight lens. That doesnt look as good with my "HHR" overlay, so Im still using the factory bulbs.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:35 AM
MCT

Thanks for the information, I may forego putting in the LED's then. I appreciate your opinions on this.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by prod
I got the 921-R12 from here:
http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/921-x12.htm
They are not quite as bright as the original, but still pretty good. However the beam is more focused and shows up as four bright spots through the red stoplight lens. That doesnt look as good with my "HHR" overlay, so Im still using the factory bulbs.
That's a common issue using LED's at time. Hot spots.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by MCT
I might be missing something here, especially since I have not taken apart the third brake light. Why the tear down and addition of the clear plastic? Why not just put the LED bulbs in and be done with it?
I think because the stock lens is patterned for diffusion of the light behind it. He says he wanted "that seperate light look". I really like it but I'm hesitant about having to change out those LED's all the time. The one's I've gotten in the past weren't very reliable.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:20 PM
MCT

Well.....that was the reason I was going to replace them with LED's. I have seen several HHR's with several third brake light bulbs burnt out, I figured I would take care of the problem proactively. So much for that idea! Thanks all for your comments.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:35 PM

Thumbs up third brake light

I went with solid state electronic module,[ center brake light to flash 3 times and the stay on, for safety to get the attention of the car behind you.

Quick Reply: I've Looked, Can't Find It. LED 3rd Brake Lite?