General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

LT vs SS review and opinions (Warning kinda long post!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 10:46 PM

LT vs SS review and opinions (Warning kinda long post!)

I have owned a 2011 LT2 and currently own a 2009 SS and thought someone might like to hear my impressions of the differences between the two cars.

I had the LT first and absolutely loved the car for it's versatility, size, and driving dynamics. The heated leather seats were a plus too. After owning this for 40k miles of driving, I found myself dreaming of something as practical as the LT, but with more power and better handling. (My daily commute is 30 miles each way through twisty, hilly 2 lane country roads.) This is what prompted the search for the SS. It took quite a while before I could find one near enough to test drive and the first one I drove was not in stellar shape. I really wanted a manual transmission, but wound up settling for an auto when I found my current car.

The differences:
The SS has a stiffer suspension and somewhat rougher ride. Not rough enough to be objectionable in my opinion, but stiffer than the LT. A side effect of the stiffer suspension is the SS was less susceptible to being pushed around by strong crosswinds. The cornering ability difference is remarkable. The SS made my commute more fun.
After the Trifecta canned tune, the acceleration was excellent and my gas mileage remained the same whether I ran in stock or tuned mode. ~28.5 MPG average.

I have missed the heated seats on a few occasions as they were great for lower back pain.

Both HHR's were very reliable. I had to replace the turn signal switch in the SS and the ignition recall were the only problems.

Great cars both of them, but if you are looking for a large helping of extra oomph in the same familiar package, I highly recommend the SS.

I have bought a 2014 Focus ST as my next commuter car and to satisfy my craving for getting back into a manual transmission car.

I have my SS for sale on the forum and have added numerous pictures.

I should also say I have learned quite a bit from the helpful folks here on the forum and would like to say thanks.

I will probably keep checking in here even after my car is gone. This is the best forum I have ever been on.
Old 12-28-2015, 07:29 AM
Deceased

I hate to see another HHR drive off into the sunset Bluegrass, but I'm very happy that you have both benefited from your time here, and that you'll keep in touch.

Good luck with your new Ford, the ST's are nice little cars, and they're a hoot to drive hard.

A belated Merry Christmas to you Buddy, and a slightly early Happy New Year!
Old 12-28-2015, 09:49 AM
Administrator

Another one selling off the SS, personally, I'd keep it just for fun weekend runs , but then again the pocket book says nope!
Old 12-29-2015, 10:41 AM

843de: I like to think not about another HHR drive off into the sunset, but rather giving someone else the chance to love it.

Oldblue: I wish you could have it as I'm sure it would be in good hands !
Old 12-29-2015, 11:31 AM
Administrator

Awe shucks, thanks my right foot has matured so it will be driven, but never put away wet!!
Great philosophy but it will still be the one that got away!!!
Old 12-31-2015, 09:28 AM

I still miss mine! The silverado just doesn't do it for me in the acceleration department