General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Missing Spare...Missing Flat Tire Kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 10:36 AM

If you look at a Cobalt, be sure to get one with a 5 lug wheel. Most only had 4 lug.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:08 AM

GM is apparently on a campaign to eliminate spare tires. Fortunately my 2007 came with one standard, but next time I buy a new car, if its not standard, it will be a deal breaker, unless the dealer supplies one.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Laco
GM is apparently on a campaign to eliminate spare tires. Fortunately my 2007 came with one standard, but next time I buy a new car, if its not standard, it will be a deal breaker, unless the dealer supplies one.
Can't blame GM for everything. Ford has even been doing it for a couple of years. The fleet of 120 focus's that I oversee didn't have them either.

When you think about it-most people have some sort of service-AAA and such. Gone are the days of the average person changing a tire. (Unlike us of course). My 09 already had it on its build sheet with the cost listed, and if it didn't I simply would have kept the fix a flat kit (came free standard) and ordered the spare anyway. At least its still an option.

In the case of the missing item-The Dealer should make it right with a spare for your trouble even if it did not have one on the build sheet.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:14 PM

80 percent of vehicle owners cannot properly care for their cars as it is, let alone repair/replace a flat tire safely and properly on the side of the road anyways.

Pay 200 bucks for the spare tire option now when you buy the car, or pay it for the fix and tow when it happens. Hardly matters.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:17 PM

I bought mine from the Chevy dealer used at 32,000 miles never needed the spare untill 3 months ago, there was no jack or wrench, no sense in calling them most dealers just dont give a DAMN.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:52 PM

843de, thank you for that list. I'm calling yards right now.

In my case, I tried 3 bottles of fix a flat, the hole that was left by the nail was too large and close to the sidewall. Due to that we were stranded.

I had to get towed to the nearest Tire Kingdom in order to get a new tire, the tow and tire cost me $150, 10 hours on the side of the road and my family weekend vacation.....and I do have roadside assistance.

Had I had the spare I could have at least driven a bit more at a slower speed in order to find someone to fix it.

This was a major FAIL on the dealer side. Unfortunately where I purchased the car and where I live are pretty far away at this point.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Fortin
843de, thank you for that list. I'm calling yards right now.

In my case, I tried 3 bottles of fix a flat, the hole that was left by the nail was too large and close to the sidewall. Due to that we were stranded.

I had to get towed to the nearest Tire Kingdom in order to get a new tire, the tow and tire cost me $150, 10 hours on the side of the road and my family weekend vacation.....and I do have roadside assistance.

Had I had the spare I could have at least driven a bit more at a slower speed in order to find someone to fix it.

This was a major FAIL on the dealer side. Unfortunately where I purchased the car and where I live are pretty far away at this point.
Next time you purchase a car, look it over more thoroughly I suppose... I'm learning that the hard way too...
Old 08-04-2011, 06:27 PM

Yeah, but doesn't a 2010 come with Roadside Assistance? My Nationwide insurance also includes Roadside Assistance at n/c. Where were the Ga. State Police, they know about tow trucks as well as speeding tickets? I have never sat on any Interstate for longer than 20 minutes without a trooper popping by. Is it possible that there is a person in the world that does not have a cell phone? Seems like everyone I see has one glued to their ear.
And take that wheel and tow bill to the OWNER of your dealership, not the General Sales Manager. You will be amazed by the difference in A-kissing, one actually cares about happy customers the other is paid to act like they do, while not spending a dime.

OOps I was typing while the OP was replying, but 10 hours for a tow is RIDICULOUS.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:43 PM
Founding Member

Mike Fortin,

Unless I missed it you have never stated if you bought this new or used.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:50 AM

donbrew,

According to the information that is within my resources, Roadside is provided as a courtesy with all purchased or leased GM vehicles that are within the bumper-to-bumper New Vehicle Limited Warranty for vehicles prior to 2007 models, and within the Powertrain warranty for 2007 models and newer.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

Quick Reply: Missing Spare...Missing Flat Tire Kit