General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

More water leaks...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 12:32 PM

More water leaks...

I know ya'll have probably covered this topic before, but I need some help. My 2006 HHR is leaking water by the back passenger door. In heavy rains, I can find that the carpet will be wet only on the back passenger side just inside the door. I appreciate any info that anyone has that can point me in the right direction to get this fixed. Thanks a bunch...
Old 01-11-2008, 12:52 PM
Platinum Member

My first thought, would be.....have you been to your dealer? And if so, what was that outcome.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:16 PM

Haven't been to dealer yet. I was trying to gather more info before going to them. It will help me to be able to tell if they're blowing smoke or not.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:27 PM

Welcome to the site. All the leaks I've heard of have been in the front passenger side which has been covered in the forum. Since it is only the floor in the back, I would say try sitting in the back and have someone run a garden hose around the top of the door and see if it is coming in. The door gasket may be bad.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:32 PM
Platinum Member

That's probably a good point/thought, based on most of the responses regarding leaks and dealers.

At this point, I can't offer you any definite suggestions. But, if you have a sun-roof some owners have had trouble with the drain tubes being blocked or un coupled. Some have had trouble with the rubber weather stripping not sealing properly.

I'll look at my car and see if I can use a little logic. But generally speaking, leaks are usually from a high point and reveal themselves at a resistance point (as water runs down).
Old 01-11-2008, 06:07 PM

gaspergou: do you have a sunroof? what shape are the door gasket/seals in? is the water strictly in that right rear spot and nowhere else? do you get water accumulating after washing your hhr or while parked/driving? try posting us some photos of the problem and some close ups of the window gasket, the door rubber seals and maybe we can be of some help.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:45 PM

Name:  welcome4.gif
Views: 183
Size:  5.6 KB to the site!!! I recall 1 member that had a water leak by the rear passenger door but my search results have come up short. Where's are site investigators at?!?
Old 01-12-2008, 12:12 AM
jx3

Name:  sherlock.gif
Views: 190
Size:  5.1 KB
Most likely possibilty..............Door seals.

Originally Posted by OhioHHR
One thing I am going to watch closely as my HHR ages is the door seals on the rear doors. Since the rear doors go all the way to the rear wheel well, the rear door seals are exposed directly at the rear wheel. Splash and throw off from the rear wheels gets forced almost directly at the rear door seals. I think treating them with silicone every year to keep them in good shape is a good idea.
The water was coming in from under the p/s rear door body weatherstrip. When you open the door the weatherstrip is on the body at the top of the opening. They snap into holes in the body, so they sealed the hole.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:48 AM

I found this explanation posted while doing a search
Dakotarider wrote:

Picked up car Wed. The apparent leak was caused by the wire harness unit, looks like a acordian heater hose, between door and frame. The unit is held onto the frame by clips. Well they were not holding tight and rain ran down and into the opening filling up the frame post then overflowing on the driver floorboard and back floot board. They replace unit and sealed tight. Will know if all fixed after next big rain. Will keep you updated.

take a peek and see if this might apply to your car. Different location of water, but possible explanation in your case. Dakota did mention 'rear floor' although on driver's side.

worth investigating.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:36 PM

I do have a sunroof. All the door weather stripping appears to be in good shape. So far I have only noticed water on the floor board in theback seat area on the passenger side. How tough is it to get to the drain for the sunroof?