General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Must Have Heated Garage to Own In Michigan

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 05:40 PM

Must Have Heated Garage to Own In Michigan

Last December, I started experiencing problems opening my front doors on my 2008 HHR (purchased in May of 2008) due to ice building up behind the front of the doors..up to 4 inches at one point. I've been trying to get some resolution to this problem ever since then. I just got off the phone with India, apparently the GM headquarters, and, once again, I was told I must park my HHR for the winter or put it in a heated garage (which I do not own!) when I'm not driving it, carry jugs of hot water with me or, my personal favorite (and this WAS told to me by a guy at my dealership), move to Florida. In reference to the hot water...how do I pour the hot water down the door to open the door when I CAN'T OPEN THE DOOR TO GET THE HOT WATER OUT?!!! The guy who sold me the vehicle said that one of the perks of the HHR is the remote starter! It's great in the winter because you can climb into a nice, toasty car!! I've been a Chevy/GM driver for over 25 years and I don't think I've ever felt so insulted or let down as I do by GM now. I'm basically being told by GM that they don't care for my business any longer. To make matters worse, the guy from India wanted to discuss the problem with my Hummer, which I don't own, and I had to repeat my zip code 3 times because he couldn't get it!!! GM must be so proud of the way things are going for them these days.
Totally Furious...
Old 06-03-2009, 05:55 PM

I under stand you are not the only one with this issue. I never have had it happen daily driving last winter with over 80" of snow. It is hard for me to understand where it is coming from since I so not get this condition even with all our ice and snow.

Do you have mud flaps?

I have flaps and with the turbo engine little snow is ever on my front clip down to the rockers of my SS. It may melt off due to the extra heat.

I understand your being upset but what is GM to do about this. This is something that is the result of the body design and it is not going to change.

Other than flaps I see little that will resolve this. I wish I could give you an answer.

Often I have addressed issue on cars the factories do not. They all have issues no matter who made them. The dealer will not always have a fix.

Can you tell me where the ice is forming from? If it is from the tire or from the drain from the windshield? If I had a good Idea I may have some idea how to resolve this.

I am not sure if it is the heat of flaps on mine but I suspect one of them keeps it form happening. I waited all winter for this to happen and it never did.

I hate the India thing to but everyone does it now and it is only going to get worse.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:24 PM

Another Michigan driver here that can vouch for the very scary sound of opening your door during the winter months. My previous LT was not as bad as my current SS. I haven't had it bad enough that I couldn't open the door at all but it's been to the point where I open the door as little as possible to get in.

Here are a couple of threads of similar problems:

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...t=buildup+door
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...t=buildup+door
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...=buildup+doors

Last edited by HillsdaleHHR; 06-04-2009 at 06:27 AM.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:57 PM

well look at the bright side.
At least now if you have a problem with the Hummer you don't own, you can speak to someone in China, rather than India
Old 06-03-2009, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by stephenm
well look at the bright side.
At least now if you have a problem with the Hummer you don't own, you can speak to someone in China, rather than India

Old 06-03-2009, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Honey's Mom
I just got off the phone with India, apparently the GM headquarters, and, once again, I was told I must park my HHR for the winter or put it in a heated garage
I agree with the advice from India
Old 06-03-2009, 09:32 PM

My first car was a '67 VW Beetle. (probably one of the reasons why I like the styling of the HHR; bulging door panels and exterior fender lines). I now remember that clearing ice from the running boards behind the doors was a necessary evil of owning a Bug, but never gave this a thought as something that was a big issue. It was just something we dealt with, similar to scraping a windshield full of ice. I guess that nowadays, we expect someone else to take care of our inconveniences, regardless of the inherent form of technology vs nature. Nothing bad, just a different expectation.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:01 PM

never heard of this, but will be interested in seeing if it happens to my ss. It will be garaged parked at night but not during the day. The '99 Cavalier we have, wife owned before married, the doors freeze really easy during the winter. driver side is worse and usually happens during the night and while parked outside.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by GTOMIKE
I agree with the advice from India
Especially cuz the guy in India doesn't have a clue about ice related problems.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:40 PM

It's June!

Quick Reply: Must Have Heated Garage to Own In Michigan