General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Need help with blacking out HHR!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 02:39 PM

Need help with blacking out HHR!

Hello everyone,

I really want to black out my 2006 HHR LT, but I am unsure where to start. I have the "fake" chrome if you will for my side mirrors and door handles. I was considering buying replacement parts, but if I could I'd rather save money and possibly sand everything and paint the parts black. Has anyone done this? If not, I found some handles and mirror covers if they are worth buying...

Mirror Covers:
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results...umber=19166194

Door Handles:
http://www.discountbodyparts.com/cat...cid=productads

Also, I found this grille that is painted black and ready to go... Could I do this to mine or is it worth just buying the grille?

Grille:
http://www.shopchevyparts.com/exteri...97-p-1893.html

I hope someone can help me out and tell me where to start (beside the black bow ties that I have already done)!

Thanks!
Old 10-21-2013, 04:16 PM

The mirror covers are what you have but in chrome right now from the sounds of it. Not sure if you can just pull it off though without leaving anything or any damage behind. But the mirrors are easy to remove from the car and as such makes painting the chrome section fairly easy.

Those handle are primered ready for paint I presume. They might satisfy your need. I do remember another member had painted their handles while still on the car by taping off the area around them.

That grill is black chrome not straight black. It will still have the look of chrome but with a dark hue vs being gloss black. Many have painted their grills.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:28 PM

The hot ticket now is Plasti-Cote. It is a spray can rubber "paint". Check the videos on YouTube. It is also removable. Or you can have your parts professionally sprayed base coat and clear coat.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:31 PM
Premium Member

ya like previously stated, there are many things you can do to "black" out the car
1. darker headlights from Depo

2. tint the rear lights and side markers (just be careful about local laws and dont go too dark)

Or buy LED style ones which come in a tinted version as well

as for the grill its easy to take off and sand/paint but if you are going to do that make sure you buy adhesion promoter or the paint wont stick properly to plastics without it (you can buy this stuff from most places) or you can make a custom one like a:
3 bar grill

or a
no bar grill (chrome or black)

The 'no bar grill' can be bought online
As for the handles Ive never taken them off since mine are painted the same colour as the car.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:11 PM

"how to" on the tail lights...same for side markers etc...

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/smoke-out-tail-lights-how-40025/
Old 10-22-2013, 05:33 PM

I have a pair of mirror covers in black, OEM and still in the box. PM me if interested.