General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Need some help before holiday trip!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 10:46 PM

Need some help before holiday trip!

I have a 2006 HHR that wont warm up. I drove about 35 miles today mixed city and highway. The engine temperature never went above 150 degrees. And the check engine light came on. This has happen before in cold weather. After researching I've found that I need to replace the thermostat. But here's another problem. My family is going out of town tomorrow for the holiday and will need to use the HHR. Will there be consequences if I continue to drive it without the engine getting to normal operating temperature? I've read its fairly easy job to replace thermostat. But can I replace it without draining coolant? If so will just replacing thermostat be sufficient enough to fix the engine temps? Thanks for any help in advance!
Old 12-23-2013, 10:53 PM

I have a 2006 HHR that wont warm up. I drove about 35 miles today mixed city and highway. The engine temperature never went above 150 degrees. And the check engine light came on. This has happen before in cold weather. After researching I've found that I need to replace the thermostat. But here's another problem. My family is going out of town tomorrow for the holiday and will need to use the HHR. Will there be consequences if I continue to drive it without the engine getting to normal operating temperature?NO, but it will not get as good gas mileage, and may not be very warm inside if you need heat. I've read its fairly easy job to replace thermostat. But can I replace it without draining coolant?YES, but you will spill some, and have to top off and "burp" the system If so will just replacing thermostat be sufficient enough to fix the engine temps? this should be your issue...also the CEL may come on if the computer figures out your not reaching operating temp. Thanks for any help in advance! no problem
Old 12-23-2013, 11:33 PM
Platinum Member

Probably what is happening as it sounds you have already researched, is the thermostat is jammed open, making it slow to warm up, and in fact it may never reach proper operating temperature. So what badassbowtie says is right on.

When I encountered the same problem due to a stuck open thermostat, I found the digital temp display blanked out with "----"displayed, and the analog one dropped to the bottom. However mine would be real slow in getting to 180 deg F - not the 150 you are referring to. Once mine got to 180, when it was really cold out, then the displays quit working - and sometimes the CEL would come on.

It's not a major job - plan on taking maybe an hour to do the job, including topping up the coolant (running the heater on full heat to help burping the system).

I drove mine for several weeks till I got around to replacing the thermostat - what I often did when it acted up was shut it down for a minute or so, then restart - the CEL would go away, and the gauges would be working again, showing a slighty lower temp than normal. I didn't notice any decrease in gas mileage tho'- and the car ran like nothing was wrong.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:21 AM
Platinum Member

I found this old post from the OP(06chevyhhr) from about 1 year ago.

Some problems with our 06' HHR

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"A problem we have had for quite some time now is the fan for the heater/air conditioner only works on high. None of the lower fan settings work except for the highest setting.
Our other problem as of currently (last 6 months) may be related to the previous problem. The engine coolant temperature takes a long time to get up to normal temps which is around 170-190. Only if we leave the heater fan off will it come up to normal temps but only if we do highway driving. We also have a check engine light on currently"

My question to the OP. Did you ever resolve the original issues? If not, then why the need to do something now at a moments notice?
Old 12-24-2013, 11:30 AM

Oh and a tip for burping....park the front of the car up on jackstands and let it run...pay attention to the temps so it doesn't overheat though...pull the ebrake btw
Old 12-24-2013, 02:11 PM
Deceased

Or take it to a competent radiator/cooling system shop where they'll have a machine that can pull a vacuum on the cooling system.

GM recommends putting the system under a vacuum after a coolant change, Ecotec engines especially in HHR's are notoriously hard to clear of air pockets. Air pockets = hot spots and the potential for damaging the cylinder head in particular.
Old 12-24-2013, 03:18 PM

I just went through the same thing. Its an easy thing to change....hardest thing is not dropping the little bolts, use 1/4 drive sockets. Drain your rad...fill car on ramps...no problem.Chevy will want 300.00 to do it. I made a little tool for the rad plug out wood, cut an x in it to fit on the plug.Big hands in a tight space.
Old 12-24-2013, 03:27 PM

So I have a question...I obviously have a SS and changed mine not too long ago...I have changed them on other vehicles as well...my question is, does the 2.2l and 2.4l have a different location for the thermostat than the SS? Mine was a PITA to get to and get back together...
Old 12-24-2013, 09:54 PM

It is a "minor" PITA getting to the bolts on a 2.2! You need to
A.)figure out how to rotate the hose clamp out of your way
A1.)hint: grab a hold of the radiator hose and just pull it up through all the wiring harnesses after you remove the 2 bolts
B.)figure out which extensions to use on your ratchet
C.)figure out how to replace the bolts in a blind spot with no finger space

Like I said: a "minor" PITA as things under the hood of an HHR go.
Old 12-25-2013, 12:11 PM
Platinum Member

On a VERY Merry Christmas........and waiting for a few minutes......

Just a thought, the OP has not returned to this forum since he posted his questions, which have been answered. He mentioned leaving on a holiday trip and because of this, I would suggest he has either made the repair or "chanced his fate" and need not return (although he could become a regular member of this forum).

hey badass.......

You may get an answer to your question if you posted a picture or described where your thermostat is located.

Quick Reply: Need some help before holiday trip!