General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Newbie with questions....

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 05:12 PM

Newbie with questions....

Hello All!

Soon I'll be in the market for a new car and have pretty much narrowed it down to ether a cool HHR or a reliable 2010 or 2011 Ford Focus.

I test drove both vehicles and even though they're considerably different from one another, I like them both a lot. I love the HHR because I could fair a little better camping with it and moving from this apartment (which I'll soon have to do) and, too, I like the looks of it.

I don't recall at the moment what sort of gas milage an HHR gets, but I believe it's around the same as what the Focus gets. (It's been a couple of weeks since I did research on the HHR so my memory might be a little off on some things.)

The main thing I like about the Focus is that I could probably get one for a couple of thousand dollars cheaper than an HHR. And, if I'm not mistaken, they both have motors that are very reliable.

One thing I read somewhere about the HHR is that last year's model included as an option a little more powerful turbo motor with a manual shift, which for me sounds really sweet. If you're familiar with what I'm talking about here, do you know if such HHRs are still to be found new at dealerships? And what could an old boy expect to pay for one "out the door" (which includes sales tax, destination charges, etc., etc.)? (I could also pay cash, if that helps bring the price down.)

From what I've read in this wonderful forum, most of you folks are very happy with your HHRs and I'm sure I would be, too.

I'm now off to finish this beer I'm working on and from there I'll take a nap, but will check back later to see if my post has gotten any responses. Thanks a million for your time and any thoughts you might care to share!!!
Old 03-06-2011, 05:15 PM
Banned

First off, WELCOME! Now to the information portion where we may commence with the first question being answered.

MPG is about 30-32 on average.

You heard right about a turbo HHR with a manual getting 260horsepower. I couldn't tell you price wise.

I love mine, and love modding it as I am sure you would too.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:37 PM

to the site. I own both an HHR SS and a Focus ZX3. My Focus is a 2001 that I bought new and has just about 100,000 miles on it. It has been pretty flawless. I just recently replaced the factory battery on it. Durabililty wise I think you would be happier with the Focus. Size wise, I would say the HHR (Other than my Focus is a hatchback and it can hold quite a bit of stuff). Let us know what you choose
Old 03-06-2011, 05:56 PM

Name:  Welcome.gif
Views: 41
Size:  44.5 KB
Old 03-06-2011, 06:04 PM

welcome to the site. I have had very good luck with my hhr and have been very happy with it. I can't help you with the ford, I just don't know much about the newer fords.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:11 PM
Deceased

Welcome and Greetings!! Don't let the discussions of various issues with HHR's dissuade you, all vehicles have issues, all vehicle forums are filled with people venting about this and that(its human nature). For the vast majority here, their HHR's run day in and day out like a fine watch, and I wouldn't hesitate to ever recommend one to someone like you who is in the market for a new vehicle.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:04 PM
Premium Member

Welcome to the site

you will have to ask some one else about the ford and if you like a little zoom in your old school style wagon test drive a SS
thats what they call the turbo HHR I love mine it's fun,and a little miserly. Here are a couple mines blue
Attached Images  
Old 03-06-2011, 11:09 PM

Welcome to the forum, Alvin.

I'm in a good position to give you some advice, since prior to buying my HHR in November, I owned a 2003 Focus wagon for 5 years. I'd still be driving it if I hadn't totalled it in an accident.

I'm also a member of FocusFanatics,com, so you should check the forum over there for Focus info. One thing they will tell you is to possibly wait on any Focus purchase for a while, since there is an all-new Focus coming out very soon. They've got all the info on it - photos, etc. It will be initially be available only as a 5-door hatch and 4-door sedan.

As to the HHR, you might want to hurry. 2011 is the last year for it.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:04 AM

Officer1151 -- thank you for the friendly welcome! I'd be curious to know if the gas numbers you posted were a mix of city/interstate driving? Sure do like the HHR and see a few of 'em around here in Reno. Haven't had a chance to ask their owners how they like them, but I reckon that's what this place is for.:-)
Old 03-07-2011, 01:09 AM

HillsdaleHHR -- thanks for the Welcome and the comments. I've never heard of a Focus ZX3, I'll have to Google it in a moment. It does sound nice. Ah yes, durability does count for sure. The last thing anyone wants are repair bills and head aches.

Quick Reply: Newbie with questions....