General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

not to happy with on-star or my dealer

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 12:32 PM
Founding Member

Here is what is required for turn by turn:

1)Turn by Turn feature only available on Gen 7 or higher VCIM

2)OnStar system must be activated and configured in order to have Turn by Turn services.

3)Vehicle must have Anti-Lock Brakes System to have Turn by Turn feature.

4)Vehicle must be in a cellular market that supports Turn by Turn, Packet Data market.

5)Vehicle must be able to get a GPS location.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:33 PM

Funny, dealer up here told me the same thing when wepicked up our SS a couple weeks ago, that Turn by Turn was free for a year...saying that Cadillacs and selected GM models such as the new Malibu and HHR had it for a year.

Of course, the first call into Onstar, and its one free usage.

I didn't complain at the time to Onstar, or, yet to my salesman, and it really doesn't matter because the times I need GPS I have a few options, but sounds like salesman have been misinformed or are reading the memo wrong...that or Onstar hasn't gotten the memo.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:48 PM

If your going to get them to make it right, make them do the XM like you initially expected. Then go out an get a Garmin or Tom Tom. Far better than anything Onstar can offer and it can be used in any car.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Doc brown
Then go out an get a Garmin or Tom Tom. Far better than anything Onstar can offer and it can be used in any car.
I don't know if I'd go THAT far in praising aftermarket GPS devices. They cannot call for emergency services when you get in a wreck and the airbags deploy, can't run trouble codes on the vehicle when you're in the middle of nowhere, can't unlock your doors if you left the keys inside, and can't help the police track down and even slow the vehicle down if it's stolen. OnStar is a great system for what it is, but aftermarket GPS is more convenient for directions only.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
and even slow the vehicle down if it's stolen.
See that's another thing the dealer told me Onstar does on our SS...but looking at the Onstar website, it appears only on select 2009 vehicles is this an option.

http://www.onstar.com/us_english/jsp/plans/svs.jsp
Old 04-20-2008, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by CGYHHRSS
See that's another thing the dealer told me Onstar does on our SS...but looking at the Onstar website, it appears only on select 2009 vehicles is this an option.
You're dealer is not on the ball....the stolen vehicle slowdown functionality is not ready yet...no way your SS has it.

You would have stolen vehicle tracking though.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
I don't know if I'd go THAT far in praising aftermarket GPS devices. They cannot call for emergency services when you get in a wreck and the airbags deploy, can't run trouble codes on the vehicle when you're in the middle of nowhere, can't unlock your doors if you left the keys inside, and can't help the police track down and even slow the vehicle down if it's stolen. OnStar is a great system for what it is, but aftermarket GPS is more convenient for directions only.
Agreed. But the initial post sounded like "turn by turn" was what was being questioned. Thats where a dedicated GPS is superior.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by ProjectX
should I even attempt to ask for them to add it or just voice my concerns and see what the out come is?
Let me guess, You went to Landmark Chevrolet. I mean "Landshark Chevrolet"
Old 04-20-2008, 11:08 PM

No, I went to Mac Haik off of I10 and Dairy Ashford.

the two things that I'm upset about are the following:

the xm radio I was told I would have

and the awesome feature of turn by turn navigation.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:45 AM

Navigation

Just as a note. When I got my 08 HHR 2LT a couple weeks ago Onstar sent me a message saying I need to contact them. When I did they gave me a month of turn by turn not just the try once. I live in the DFW area so that may also be a reason for it but maybe they will do that for you too.

Quick Reply: not to happy with on-star or my dealer