General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

ODB II Scanner - Windows SW vs Handheld

Old 11-05-2018, 03:47 PM

ODB II Scanner - Windows SW vs Handheld

Not sure if this goes in General or Engine, didn't see a generic Engine section.

Recent purchase of 2008 HHR LT 2.2 Panel.
Looking at doing a tune.. and ZZP indicates it uses a ODB2 cable (included in their kit) and Trifecta indicates they would send their cable too.
Trifecta doesn't list the 2.2L on Web site but has indicated on a 1-on-1 selection depending on build-up of engine they will provide & support a Tuning Kit.

From my communication, neither of the above tuning software provides any ODB2 data access.
I don't have a ODB2 Handheld and was wondering with all the fancy computers now a days... if a Software Program & Cable would provide same benefits to add to the garage toolbox.
What is the popular selection in the group? Hand held unit... which model? Software, which program?

I found this on Amazon... looks good but didn't know from beans if good or bad.
Amazon Amazon
Old 11-05-2018, 04:10 PM
Technical Moderator

Both Trifecta And ZZP provide the software along with the cable for a price. The cable is basically a USB to serial adapter.

OBD2 readers are a different thing altogether. Tech2 scanners are getting cheap now that GM has changed their system; they can do lots of interfacing. There are other computer options now including from Harbor Freight, expect to pay around $1,000 and need training and a source for firmware. GM supplies firmware for a daily access fee.

The item you linked is a code reader cable that you attach to a laptop/PC. Use software available for free on the interwebs. You can get a ELM327 OBD@ interface for less money, they come in USB, WIFI, Bluetooth. There are several softwares available for smart phones. Just readers though a computer that can diddle with the modules in the car are much more expensive.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Both Trifecta And ZZP provide the software along with the cable for a price. The cable is basically a USB to serial adapter.

OBD2 readers are a different thing altogether. Tech2 scanners are getting cheap now that GM has changed their system; they can do lots of interfacing. There are other computer options now including from Harbor Freight, expect to pay around $1,000 and need training and a source for firmware. GM supplies firmware for a daily access fee.

The item you linked is a code reader cable that you attach to a laptop/PC. Use software available for free on the interwebs. You can get a ELM327 OBD@ interface for less money, they come in USB, WIFI, Bluetooth. There are several softwares available for smart phones. Just readers though a computer that can diddle with the modules in the car are much more expensive.
My bad, may have miscommunicated.
Understood the difference in ZZP & Trifecta and the link I provided. I was combining subject matter into 1 post.
I was thinking of having either ZZP or Trifecta provide me a tune flash file... and pondering a handheld or software program to access information to read and clear codes.
No interest in learning GM's program to refresh & tune.

I see online various BT for Android & IOS handhelds that seem to be readers only, not able to clear / reset codes. The PC programs seem to be able to read values and clear codes.
If able to clear a code and perform repairs to see if code resets... that meets my needs.
I was asking if most liked a simple handheld for this purpose or used a software solution: PC, Android, IOS device.

The need for a full fledge PROM / Flash Programmer tool wouldn't be justified for my 1 HHR unit.

Old 11-05-2018, 04:47 PM
Technical Moderator

Any reader can clear codes, not all can read ABS and SIRS codes. HF sells one for about $100 regular, less on sale that reads ABS.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:55 PM

Any reader can clear codes, not all can read ABS and SIRS codes. HF sells one for about $100 regular, less on sale that reads ABS.
Appreciate the info!
That's good to read... nice to know basically any of them will clear codes too.
I'm naive, is HF, Harbor Freight? They sell quality scanners, no insult intended just didn't realize HF sold this type of scanner.
Is there a particular model that jumps out as desired... or just need to read the capabilities: ABS, SIRS ?

Old 11-05-2018, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by dougcjohn
Appreciate the info!
That's good to read... nice to know basically any of them will clear codes too.
I'm naive, is HF, Harbor Freight? They sell quality scanners, no insult intended just didn't realize HF sold this type of scanner.
Is there a particular model that jumps out as desired... or just need to read the capabilities: ABS, SIRS ?
In a quick check... the ZR11 or ZR13 do a lot... but more than I want to invest at the moment.
https://www.harborfreight.com/zr13-o...ist-63806.html
Old 11-05-2018, 05:10 PM

Anyone try or use this one... BlueDriver @ $100

Looks like this one ... BT for iOS and Android reads/clears additional codes: ABS, SRS, etc.
Amazon Amazon
Old 11-05-2018, 05:49 PM
Platinum Member

I use the Torque App on my old phone to connect with the OBD system via a wireless plug in (picture below). On my new phone I just have the free Torque Lite app. Both apps allow to scan and clear codes.
The plug in was about $20. Probably get one cheaper than that.

Old 11-05-2018, 08:16 PM
Technical Moderator

BlueDriver is the same as any $15 ELM327 device like FiremanGeorge showed. They don't do ABS and SIRS. You may not need one that states SIRS, but if you want to read ABS it has to say it.

Just go to ebay and search "ELM327" and make your choice of some 500 items.

ZR8 would be fine.

SRS isn't all that helpful as the problems are usually connectors. (SRS same as SIRS in my head)

This one is basically a Tech2 Scanner for multiple manufacturers. https://www.harborfreight.com/zurich...hp_offer102018
Old 11-05-2018, 08:43 PM

BlueDriver is the same as any $15 ELM327 device like FiremanGeorge showed. They don't do ABS and SIRS. You may not need one that states SIRS, but if you want to read ABS it has to say it.

Just go to ebay and search "ELM327" and make your choice of some 500 items.

ZR8 would be fine.

SRS isn't all that helpful as the problems are usually connectors. (SRS same as SIRS in my head)

This one is basically a Tech2 Scanner for multiple manufacturers. https://www.harborfreight.com/zurich...hp_offer102018
I'll check out the other ones you site.
But reading the reviews, Amazon and other descriptions the BlueDriver does indicate ABS and other enhanced. I found 2 non-propaganda reviews that indicated it did do the enhanced, including abs, air bag, etc.

Personally I have no knowledge, but I didn't find a reviewer indicating it wasn't performing as advertised.