General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

An Olive Branch to PT Cruiser Owners

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 12:25 PM

An Olive Branch to PT Cruiser Owners

I really don't understand all the PT Cruiser bashing. Without the PT Cruiser, and its phenomenal success, we all wouldn't be driving HHR's today. I am sure many people that bought a PT Cruiser are not very different from us. They wanted a unique, nostalgic car that showed off their individuality - sound like pretty cool people to me! Personally, I like seeing a Cruiser almost as I like seeing an HHR. It sure beats another Camry or Accord on the road!

Now, would I buy a Chrysler product? No. My first new car ever was a Dodge and it was a nightmare - constant repairs. Worst of all, Chrysler really didn't seem to care. They took an "It's your problem now" approach to my concerns, even at a corporate level. But, you do have to give Chrysler credit for pushing the envelope on design and being a major influence in the variety of car styles being offered today.

Instead of all the Cruiser hating, consider how cool it would be to have a run of HHR's, PT Cruisers, SSR's and even a Prowler or two. That would really turn some heads!
Old 07-26-2006, 12:36 PM

a turbo PT will smoke an HHR hands down. Both cars have the same designer. Just enjoy your new ride and mod it to fit your taste. Hating on another car model that also runs on a slow 4-cylinder engine is hilarious.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:48 PM

I was rollin' in my black HHR recently and I pulled up next to a Prowler, black also. While I was checkin' out the Prowler, my wife started laughing because he was checkin' out my HHR just as hard as I was checkin' his Prowler. Most of the ribbing of the PT's is good natured, kinda' like Ford bashing...I am confident that I ended up with the better of the two vehicles, but you can figure that there was an instant rivalry between the two because of their conception similarities and that will likely remain...think of it like the Mutsang versus the Camaro...it is just another thing to keep you involved...
Old 07-26-2006, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Boko
I really don't understand all the PT Cruiser bashing. Without the PT Cruiser, and its phenomenal success, we all wouldn't be driving HHR's today. I am sure many people that bought a PT Cruiser are not very different from us. They wanted a unique, nostalgic car that showed off their individuality - sound like pretty cool people to me! Personally, I like seeing a Cruiser almost as I like seeing an HHR. It sure beats another Camry or Accord on the road!

Now, would I buy a Chrysler product? No. My first new car ever was a Dodge and it was a nightmare - constant repairs. Worst of all, Chrysler really didn't seem to care. They took an "It's your problem now" approach to my concerns, even at a corporate level. But, you do have to give Chrysler credit for pushing the envelope on design and being a major influence in the variety of car styles being offered today.

Instead of all the Cruiser hating, consider how cool it would be to have a run of HHR's, PT Cruisers, SSR's and even a Prowler or two. That would really turn some heads!
Boko
Finally someone stepped up and said what I have been thinking for months about the PT Cruiser bashing. I have no regrets that we decided on the HHR, but it was a difficult decision for me. I actually spent a couple of months comparing and driving both the PT Cruiser and HHR. I also agree that I don't think we would have the HHR if Chrysler hadn't had so much success with the Cruiser. Just my :2cents
Old 07-26-2006, 01:12 PM

Well said Boko I couldn't agree more.
I've been lurking here quite a bit, but have been "turned off" by some of the things being said. Some people seem to have a low tolerance for others views but I guess that happens on most boards.

We've had our HHR for a month now and LOVE it. I haven't felt this way since my first car in 1960, which was a '57 BelAir 2 door hardtop.
I'm amazed at the fit and finish on the HHR, its as good as or better than most imports. And it's one sweet ride.
Way to go Chevrolet
Old 07-26-2006, 01:23 PM

Hello and to chevyhhr.net

We look forward to getting to know more about you and your HHR. Please be sure to post some pics so we can catch a glimpse of your ride.

The bashing we do of the PT Cruiser is just for fun. I've visited their forums before and trust me...they are none to kind to us either. We make silly jokes about them, but we're not downright mean about it (well I guess we can be sometimes). Poking fun at others cars has been going on since the beginning of automobiles, and I don't see it stopping anytime soon. I know several people who have PT Cruisers and we get along just great...even fun around about who has the coolest car.

Hell...I almost bought one until I saw the HHR. Personally, I'd rather have something that there aren't a million of on the road, that you see on nearly every street you drive on.

But, back to the topic at hand here. Here's some comments I read at one of the forums on a thread called "HHR Owners Are So Uptight"

Ugly! looks like a squashed Dodge Durango!
looks like a low level Saturn mini van
I test drove the HHR and the performance is a dog.
HHR stands for Ho Hum Retro!
And speaking of gutless wonders...no thanks that's why I ran back to Mopar
HHR stands for HO-HUM RIPOFF

My personal favorite is:
Seems to be me there's an awful lot of HHR bashing going on on this and other PT forums. Who's being defensive?
Old 07-26-2006, 01:28 PM

pt's still look like a pregnant roller skate to me
Old 07-26-2006, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Dave C
I've been lurking here quite a bit, but have been "turned off" by some of the things being said. Some people seem to have a low tolerance for others views but I guess that happens on most boards.
to chevyhhr.net Dave...glad to see you have come out to join in the conversation. We look forward to seeing you around the boards and hearing more about you and your HHR.

Please don't be "turned off" by some of our opinions. Some of us have a tendency to be a little more abrasive than others, but that happens in all forums. I belong to one on the SpeedTv boards for NASCAR General discussions and some are down right mean and ruthless, but that's just human nature sometimes.

We hope to see you post often and look forward to your comments. Have fun and enjoy the boards.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:48 PM
Deceased

Originally Posted by crowbar
pt's still look like a pregnant roller skate to me
and the father was an elephant or rhino

i am not fond at all of the humped up wide back end. i drove one and was so disimpressed, same w the new Caliber
Old 07-26-2006, 01:51 PM

Moving my post over here....

It's a matter of competition. PT Losers are our competition, if you want to consider that. We're the new kid on the block so to speak. So we like the idea of showing up our competition. For me, it goes further than that. It's just a matter of Chevy vs Chrysler pride. You might as well throw the Caliber in there too. When a PT Loser comes up to the light next to you and wants to race you, instinct and adrenaline takes over. You're going to want to blow that PT away. Not sure how old you are, but it's always been this way for all car lovers. True die hard car lovers have their specific manufacturer they stand by. You are not going to have PT Losers in the same car clubs as HHR's. Just like you're not going to have Corvettes in the same car club as Mustangs. So save the "Why can't we all get along.." speech. It's been like this ever since the first Model T rolled off the assembly line. I was definitely born in the wrong decade. I would have loved to lived during the 50's and 60's where cars were beasts and "politically correct" did not exist.

Quick Reply: An Olive Branch to PT Cruiser Owners