General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.
View Poll Results: Which do you think ? Chrome or black roof rails
Chrome roof rails
71.43%
Black roof rails
28.57%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Opinions please...black or chrome roof rails?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 11:21 AM

Opinions please...black or chrome roof rails?

I just bought this 2009 HHR. It has chrome grill, rims, and mirrors. My dilemma is do I go with black or chrome roof rails? I'm leaning towards black, since when I get crossbars, they will most likely have black and/or aluminum finishes on them. I don't forsee finding chrome crossbars. Plus I don't think chrome roof rails are going to pop. Please feel free to give me your opinion.....chrome or black roof rails???? BTW...I'm a brand new member, and I just bought this HHR this past weekend.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:33 AM

I too am a late buyer into these little HHR's... Your's appears to be a LT2 model with the extra chrome.
I recently purchased 2 HHR Panels about 1 month apart... White LT auto 60K miles and Maroon LT2 5 sp manual 80K miles for a little business I'm pondering. I've been purchasing various components, and recently found a rare Chrome Roof Rail set with Cross bars. The Chrome cross bars have chrome end caps, but the center section to support objects is black... makes sense because you'd destroy the chrome anyway. Still packed up, but if I recall, the black center section was rubber / plastic material.

I've searched high & low for the full chrome set with cross bars. I finally found 1 set in mint shape and had them sent to me. Still looking for a 2nd full chrome set.
I'll wish you luck, the cross bars are hard to find, let alone the cross bars that have the chrome ends for chrome rails. The chrome rails are pretty quick to find, but I'm not sure what other cross bars fit these rails. Others on the site may help us both with cross bar question.

I was able to find a full set of leather interior for both, including back seats & belts to convert Panels to Rr seats. In my opinion, that gives the interior a nice look.
The biggest change to nose for me was changing the headlights. Getting bright, clear shiny lenses really popped the nose, giving it a new look to me.
Good Luck on your parts shopping!
Old 02-20-2019, 12:34 PM

dougcjohn, the chrome getting destroyed was my first concern. I think I will just go with black roof rails. I don't think the chrome on white pops well, and any crossbars I purchase will most likely have some black on them.
Funny you mentioned the headlight lenses. Just yesterday, I did mine using using toothbrush and toothpaste...then lightly coat with olive oil. They look brand new. I also did the rear taillights, as they were a little foggy too. A little trick I picked up some time ago. Cost me ZERO $$$ LOL
Thanks for the reply!
Old 02-20-2019, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by 73Sparky
dougcjohn, the chrome getting destroyed was my first concern. I think I will just go with black roof rails. I don't think the chrome on white pops well, and any crossbars I purchase will most likely have some black on them.
Funny you mentioned the headlight lenses. Just yesterday, I did mine using using toothbrush and toothpaste...then lightly coat with olive oil. They look brand new. I also did the rear taillights, as they were a little foggy too. A little trick I picked up some time ago. Cost me ZERO $$$ LOL
Thanks for the reply!
Great to hear! Glad that worked for you.
Most of the HHR's I've seen have fogged worn lenses.... they may have worn fast due to material or shape on nose catching road debris.
I tried the toothpaste & oil routine and the wet sanding & clear coat. Helps but doesn't provide the same clear depth when compared with new side by side. The new aftermarket with the bright chrome internal behind the lens were hands down the winner for mine. But as you indicate, they weren't free.... so that's consideration too. But if you're considering black rails, Ft lenses with black chrome inside might look great too.

The chrome rails on White, In my opinion look great. A shinny chrome grill, chrome wheels, door handles, etc... they all pop.
I've added the small chrome headlight edge trim & tail light chrome rings, that added a nice detail accent too... the Rr LED's are nice & considering.
I laid them on the White & Maroon... looked great on both. My primary will be the maroon so I'll put this set on maroon. My Wife will drive the White Auto as a little Panel logo advertisment, so rails for Her's will come later.

If you can find a chrome rail set with chrome cross bars, the centers will work and the chrome end caps on cross bars remain clean.
That's what makes these fun... so many variations possible in trim.

Old 02-20-2019, 02:52 PM
Administrator

I’d go with the chrome.

welcome to the site!
Old 02-20-2019, 09:12 PM
Platinum Member

Yes Welcome, I see a 2LT, sweet.
My roof rails are chrome on the ends & black in middle. I think Chrome is beautiful off shiny white.