General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

PANEL: rear power outlet same as the power plug?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 12:58 PM

Dear Preztel,

I apologize for the time frame about getting the information about the rear power outlet that you were inquiring about. Please, forgive me.

I can confirm that the information that you had posted on August 4th is correct.

Sincerely,
Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 08-12-2011, 07:29 PM

I've been wanting to use the 40 amp service for a coupla years. I didn't read the manual correctly, and tried to use the accessory plug instead. No dice. Cigarette plug type cords are insufficient for power tools-heaters-compressors!! I haven't gotten a look at the REAL 40 amp service connector yet, but intend to pull it out to where I can inspect it tomorrow. I assume that no one is using it yet, since nobody has bought a factory connector for it (or hasn't read this thread). I searched the web for as part #, but none found. I have two prospective matching connector pics, but no dimensions/functions given. I guess I'll have to go to the dealer for one, if I want to hook it up. Anyone?
Old 08-12-2011, 09:54 PM

found this in a old post my be some help

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...ghlight=outlet
Old 08-13-2011, 12:54 PM

Think I've found the part # for Panel side connector, need matching part# for eternal

"The vehicle may have a power plug connector located
in the rear cargo area on the passenger side behind
the service panel. The power connector wiring can
be accessed by removing the service panel to begin
installation.
This plug can be used to supply power to commercial
converters and contains four different circuits. The
functions of these circuits are as follows; a 40 Amp
battery service, a 10 Amp Accessory or Run service, a
15 Amp Delayed Accessory service and a Ground circuit."
As quoted from the manual. I'm looking for the factory pigtail, so I don't have to run any wiring to the battery (until the warranty is up, then, as an old-time shadetree hot rodder, all bets are off). If, for some reason, a fire occurred from a modified circuit, I'm sure GM would not (and probably my insurance carrier) look kindly on that mod. I've modified every vehicle I've ever owned, but I try to keep them unaltered 'til the warranty expires. Safety and drivetrain issues especially. NEW INFO: I examined the connector, and compared it to those listed by AC Delco, found # 12126015...confirmed that # on Rock Auto as the HHR acc. power connector. BUT cannot find the other pigtail to hook to it. The one I think looks closest to a match is for a Firebird headlight hook up. I want to avoid the dealer; last time I was looking for a connector there, I ended up going to a junkyard. Chevy Customer Service or Chevy Mgr.-help??

Last edited by working on it; 08-13-2011 at 07:01 PM. Reason: further info
Old 08-20-2011, 05:51 PM

What I did, since I have a plain LT, was run 2 - 14 gauge wires directly to the battery with a 20 amp fuse near the inverter. The inverter is mounted on the side of the rear console with sheet metal screws. I can easily reach the on/off switch and plug/unplug my laptop charger. The laptop is mounted in the front passenger foot well with iron pipe & fittings bolted to the floor. I have not tried power tools. Yes, the battery will die over a 3 day weekend. The inverter is similar to a ac-dc charger in that it draws dc even when there is no load, not just the fan.

In my case the only seat that can be used is the driver's seat, so as long as wires are under, around, thru the rear panels and seats everything is OK. Just keep the freight on the bed, and the wires isolated from friction.

What should be done: use a relay on the switched or delayed circuit to activate the 40A circuit, so that the inverter only operates when the key is "on" or within the delay if you wire it up that way. The wires and relay should be less than $10, and simple enough for "the compleat idiot" to figure out. If you have a multi-tester and know how to use it for sensing DC voltage it should not take 20 minutes to build. I will bet that if you can find the GM solution, you are talking at least $100 for the pigtail then alot more for the relay in a magic blackbox. RadioShack should have a relay rated at 40A DC, if not try at PepBoys in the remote start section. How neat and nice you would expect it to be is up to you, RadioShack has project boxes and circuit boards that would make it pretty...for a price. To be clear, I am talking about a DC circuit to activate a DC circuit that feeds an inverter, not a switching of the AC. If I had any clue as how to post a diagram I would.

If I remember correctly (doubtful) 40A DC should produce about 15A AC.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:04 PM

hunting for a connector...ad infinitum

Still searching for part numbers, upfitter wiring, AC Delco connectors, anything that'll be reasonably "factory" in most respects, not hobbled together by me. Can't find any GM links. I asked a friend to talk to a local Chevy SA to research the part for me...finally got the response that there is none. Unbelievable. Maybe it only comes with a inverter used by GM upfitters. Can find nothing there either. Finally, I turned to the "darkside" and found this http://www.billpounds.com/truck/upfi...rsInstall.html from FORD. Although donbrew told me how to make one, and I found other ways to do it on the web, I think this Fomoco piece would serve well. Any thoughts? Never got a PN from Chevy Customer Service or Chevy Mgr. So maybe the GM piece is a no go anyhow.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:32 AM

The #12126015 pigtail is $44.06.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:49 PM

Tony- that's the connector already in the Panel, isn't it? I am looking for the output side connector and any related switches and/or relays to make the 40 amp service "factory/upfitter" acceptable. I haven't found any Panel wired up that way, or any info pertaining to it.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:24 PM

Working on it: Did you eve find the output connector? I want to add an inverter and 110v AC outlet, but also can't find any diagram for the connector already in my panel.

Thanks!
Old 09-17-2011, 08:47 PM

No, I never found it. I didn't go to the dealer to check since a local SA said there wasn't one. And ChevyMgr and Michelle from Chevy never said yea or nay. And, after a search for a cheap Ford SuperDuty switch panel substitute (people have grabbed all the junked ones), I am now going to make my own, as donbrew had advised. Funny that you asked tonight; I had started to finally design my own (looking up fuses,relays,project box,switches, connectors and cable prices @ Radioshack and O'Reilly online) as I was checking out the forum. Would've done so today, but had family business to attend to. I am going to verify which wire is live,and which is keyed,and what size connectors are needed, in the am. If and when I am finished, I will post pictures...if my wife will leave me a camera available (when she travels, they all disappear).

Quick Reply: PANEL: rear power outlet same as the power plug?