General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Panel rear seat/package tray

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 06:24 PM

Panel rear seat/package tray

Hi all, new guy here and just stroked a deal on a sunburst orange HHR panel this afternoon. Funny how i ended up with one, my niece had a PT Cruiser that was her daily driver in college and on her graduation i bought her a new Ford Fusion then ended up with the PT. Not knowing exactly what to do with it i actually started using it as a driver for my shop, worked out pretty well for misc parts running duties but . . . . well . . . its a PT Cruiser lol. I then found myself looking into HHR's as a replacement, in particular i wanted an orange panel van model. Found the one i wanted this morning and pulled the trigger.

I have a question about the rear cargo area and seating. The one i am getting is missing the rear seat and i'd like to put one back in it. Is the rear seat in the Panel Van unique in any way or can i get one from a standard full window model? Thanks all I'm looking forward to having some fun with this thing . . . .

Old 11-16-2018, 06:40 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome
Panel HHR's (no windows in rear doors) did not come with rear seats. They came with storage bins in the rear seat area.
Is this a panel ? Can't tell from the picture.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Welcome
Panel HHR's (no windows in rear doors) did not come with rear seats. They came with storage bins in the rear seat area.
Is this a panel ? Can't tell from the picture.
yes its a panel with no windows. Interesting, i did not know that but my HHR knowledge only goes back to this morning lol. I'm guessing that is going to a tricky part to find. I wonder if seats could be retro'd in. I have a very strong past in custom car fab and have owned a body shop in the past (for some twenty very good years). I would actually like to replace whatever was in there but if push came to shove I could do a rear seat conversion i suppose.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:59 PM

A lot of guys put rear seats in the panels... It's a bolt in.

Not sure how a possible insurance claim would handle 4 people in a two seat automobile, but that's none of my business.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:09 PM
Platinum Member

Several members have put rear seats in their panels. Read around. There are a couple threads regarding this.
If my memory is good, I think you have to get the door panels from a regular windowed HHR. The panel HHR door panels are thicker and would hit the seat. Just remember there's no door handles on the inside of a panel so no way for a passenger to open the door from inside.

Check our want ads and the inactive ones. I recall a couple people selling the storage compartment when they put a seat in their panel. And there's probably a few of those storage bins in the wrecking yards.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Several members have put rear seats in their panels. Read around. There are a couple threads regarding this.
If my memory is good, I think you have to get the door panels from a regular windowed HHR. The panel HHR door panels are thicker and would hit the seat. Just remember there's no door handles on the inside of a panel so no way for a passenger to open the door from inside.

Check our want ads and the inactive ones. I recall a couple people selling the storage compartment when they put a seat in their panel. And there's probably a few of those storage bins in the wrecking yards.

Actually, it's the other way around... The panel storage box won't fit in a wagon because the inner door panels hit the storage unit... A seat in the panel fits fine without changing door panels.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:19 PM

wow, great stuff. i will have to poke around the site a bit. I'm looking forward to having some fun with this car . . . . err truck . . . wagon . . . what are these things? lol

Given the choice i'd rather have the package tray if i can find one. My plans for it is to trick it out a bit maybe two tone atomic orange on the lower and charcoal on top, lower it or at least get it level. Some kinda retro version of my shop logo on the side. I actually like that PT Cruiser for what it is and wasnt till i started looking into the HHR's that i found they were designed my the same person.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:56 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, check out our classified ads.
Somebody had panel bins for trade or sale, also our resident HHR parts guy Hellshotrod might have something for you

Old 11-17-2018, 09:22 AM

I tell ya what, I know social media like Facebook and stuff is the dominant form of communication but i still like the forum boards. Much easier to search and gain info from. Dont get me wrong i still do a little FB stuff but i prefer these type of threads.

Great info guys, i stopped at a local yard and looked at an HHR they had (only one in yard) and it looks like a pretty basic swap to a rear seat. I also found a thread on here illustrating the process. Mine wont be delivered till next week but I'm gearing up to get on it. Gonna search around a bit more for a package tray but after seeing how the rear seats work i think thats the better move here.

Heres the one in yard i just looked at in Toledo if anyone needs anything. Its an 06 and in really good shape, took a swipe down the left side but there doesn't appear to be much taken off it yet.

Old 11-17-2018, 10:28 AM

If you are going with a rear seat, make sure you get all the seatbelts and associated do-dads...

Quick Reply: Panel rear seat/package tray