General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Piston ring replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2024, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by PulpFriction
For lawd sakes don't install cheap struts. KYB or nothing.
Gave up on them and sent return with the catalytic might attempt to put on suspension from dodge or type that matches the knuckle of HHR attempting to get slight lift LMK anyone insight on this as there is not much info on the google to make this happen just image results like sand crawlers on HHR frame and what not.

I believe there is a different engine on this one.

Last edited by Andrew_rogers; 01-21-2024 at 09:01 PM.
Old 01-17-2024, 09:00 AM
Administrator

Old boy?? Check your spell check / autocorrect!
Old 01-21-2024, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Stock sized rings might do it , but after the wear and a good honing, you might need oversized rings.
I’ll check on it after a few thousand miles if I don’t get blow by after installation. Set the mile marker before and after photo and what not.
Old 01-21-2024, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by greg8453
You may be able to do it by removing the heads and pan but why would you take it to that point and not do bearings and timing components and do it right.
ordered the connector rod barring set from AutoZone they had for 60-80$ good call got pistons removed and one was stretched/slipped off with the disconnect process. Wanna do water and oil pump though they are holding up to my knowledge.
Old 01-21-2024, 09:56 PM
Platinum Member

Well it’s obvious you don’t know what “boring” means. Boring ( cutting) a cylinder to a larger diameter means you’ll have to get new oversized pistons and rings.
You can’t bore out a block in the car.
Honing the cylinders sounds like what you’re doing.
Old 01-21-2024, 10:04 PM

So you're replacing the rings, but you haven't performed a compression test or a leak down test?
Old 01-21-2024, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Well it’s obvious you don’t know what “boring” means. Boring ( cutting) a cylinder to a larger diameter means you’ll have to get new oversized pistons and rings.
You can’t bore out a block in the car.
Honing the cylinders sounds like what you’re doing.
I doubt one can bore one of these out much especially with 300.000 miles cause it’s getting to that iron color in the cylinder anyways which there are two of so… lost the term yeah honing, I do more metal work as casting and 3D printer types, welding some, motorcycles new to me.
Old 01-22-2024, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
FYI. You can’t order rings until you tear down the engine and see what you’ll need. The bores will need to be mic’d and inspected. Then you’ll know what needs to be done. If it needs boring( not sure if you can bore an Ecotech) then you’ll need oversized pistons/rings.
If you tear it down that far, you need to inspect the crankshaft and replace all the crank and rod bearings.
Not a job for a novice.
Most folks opt for a new long block or get a used engine.
yes if this works out then next time they need swap I’m taking that rout found one locally for some over $500 which is $300 less than most I have seen so yeah strongly considered that route and see why others do so. Got everything off it other than bottom block/cylinder block? And am placing them on from RockAuto spark that @&$ch up with fingers crossed though am confident that it was actually a time chain thing or issue with radiator/lines due to the cold… maybe fuel pump!?! When into this mode I could not go over 40MPH and seen post on this site one with same issue. Though the cylinders were polished so gave them that hone anyway got my time chain replacement sitting here with car gutted in the lot slightly excited waiting on them rings tomorrow, had a barring fall off while removing the pistons like a loose tooth so guessing that I was rolling on a slip. Though in that previous post with same issues they had a fuel thing going on so maybe I went overboard whatever.