General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Rear hatch mystery release handle

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 02:38 PM

Unhappy Rear hatch mystery release handle

Has anybody been able to locate their rear hatch emergency release handle? Have looked at several 06's and none seem to have it. GM swears the handle should be there. Have had my panel off.................and no handle. A person can see where it is supposed to hook into. The "Qualified GM Techs" at my local dealer only scratch their heads and go HHHUUUUMMMMMM.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by tcstoy
Has anybody been able to locate their rear hatch emergency release handle? Have looked at several 06's and none seem to have it. GM swears the handle should be there. Have had my panel off.................and no handle. A person can see where it is supposed to hook into. The "Qualified GM Techs" at my local dealer only scratch their heads and go HHHUUUUMMMMMM.
If you pull that one little finger-panel off the rear tailgate, it's under there. It's just that if you're looking for a handle in the traditional sense of the word, it's not there. What *is* there, however, is I believe a trigger-style button which when pushed will pop the tailgate latch.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:45 PM

I've looked............nothing there. Had the panel off twice.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:47 PM

Even had both the guys that work in the parts department check theirs as they both have HHR"s. Not on either of them.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:54 PM
Banned

Do a search and you'll find a couple of threads on it. The interior hatch release is non-existent.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:03 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by tcstoy
Even had both the guys that work in the parts department check theirs as they both have HHR"s. Not on either of them.
Your "Certified GM Technicians" are idiots.

Do a search on this forum, as suggested. I did a POST on this topic, with step by step instructions. It's there, as suggested by Desert Coyote and your Owners Manual, just not what you are expecting.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Your "Certified GM Technicians" are idiots.
Would that make them Certifiable GM Technicians?
Old 06-05-2007, 04:21 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Black Rose
Would that make them Certifiable GM Technicians?

You bet....

Just another reason and substantiation for my constant ranting and negative comments about MOST dealers.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:59 PM

Hey, Snoopy, ever think that if the "wonderminds" at GM could write something clear in the manual, both owners and even them dumb dealers would know the easy answer to the operation of that mystery release!

j/k my man!
Old 06-05-2007, 06:47 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by JoeR
Hey, Snoopy, ever think that if the "wonderminds" at GM could write something clear in the manual, both owners and even them dumb dealers would know the easy answer to the operation of that mystery release!

j/k my man!
Yeah Joe you're probably right. But, you know I'm NOT a wrench puller by trade. The last 25 years of my working like, I was a desk jocky, with car interests. I read the Owners Manual regarding the "hidden button", went out and opened it the first time. Not difficult. Showed about 10 people now, including the Service Advisors at my dealership, who showed a couple of the tech's, which must have been an insult.

Quick Reply: Rear hatch mystery release handle