General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Rear hatch mystery release handle

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 06:56 PM
Banned

I searched everywhere and I swear mine is not there. I kind of remember your post Snoopy. Didn't you have to use a screw driver to get to it or something like that. I could search but I'm too lazy right now.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:58 PM
Platinum Member

Yes...nothing is visible.

Should I rewrite it again??? I'm willing, if it is needed.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:14 PM

Snoopy...is this what you're talking about?

Originally Posted by Snoopy
O'k guys.....it's there. a little hard to find because it is not how it is illustrated in THE BOOK.

Follow the directions in the owners book BUT when the lid is open trip the lock so it is closed. If you insert the 4 inch or longer screw driver straight in next to the plastic piece (right side looking up from storage area), the lock will trip.

Everyone had me wondering about this as a potential safety problem, so I had to try it.........no problem. And really, you should try it ahead of time, just in case.
Found the info in THIS thread.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:40 PM

It seems to me that this "emergency release" was brought about a few years ago because of kids getting trapped in trunks of SEDANS. The HHR & other wagons & SUV's cargo areas are common to the rest of the interior, hence no release needed. I've cut my hatch down the middle (see my pics), to build the barn doors, there is no inside release. Our 2002 Tahoe doesn't have one either, just not necessary on these types of vehicles.
jeffs396
Old 06-06-2007, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by jeffs396
It seems to me that this "emergency release" was brought about a few years ago because of kids getting trapped in trunks of SEDANS. The HHR & other wagons & SUV's cargo areas are common to the rest of the interior, hence no release needed. I've cut my hatch down the middle (see my pics), to build the barn doors, there is no inside release. Our 2002 Tahoe doesn't have one either, just not necessary on these types of vehicles.
jeffs396
This is true...but it is a way to open the hatch if the battery goes dead.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:34 PM

Manual tailgate release.

Originally Posted by jeffs396
jeffs396
There IS a "manual" release behind the little cover bottom center inside. It is not for "emergency" use. It IS for opening the tailgate if the electric release FAILS so you can remove the interior cover to facilitate a repair.

Here is a link to an explaination, bottom left side of page three.
http://216.182.211.32/techlink/image...r06/mar_06.pdf
Old 06-06-2007, 08:50 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Dave C
There IS a "manual" release behind the little cover bottom center inside. It is not for "emergency" use. It IS for opening the tailgate if the electric release FAILS so you can remove the interior cover to facilitate a repair.

Here is a link to an explaination, bottom left side of page three.
http://216.182.211.32/techlink/image...r06/mar_06.pdf
Thanks Dave C for posting this. I can't believe how many people are absolutely sure the manual release is NOT there..... even GM "Certified" Technicians, Dealer Service "Advisors", members of the HHR forumS and some people that are considered GOD, when it comes to what is correct for the HHR.
But, I've got to say, that EVERY HHR owner that I showed this to (not including at least a dozen at my dealership) had the release and was able to use it.

I'm working on a How To, with pictures, right now.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:52 PM
jx3

I'm working on a How To, with pictures, right now.
After searching for quite sometime for the release in the hatch when my actuator failed, this I've got to see!
Old 06-06-2007, 08:56 PM
Platinum Member

Also, thanks to Dave C....

Take a good look farther down on the GM tech Link he provided. There is a really good article on ROTOR "WOBBLE". How many want to bet their dealer didn't do or know this.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:04 PM
Banned

I can't believe how many people are absolutely sure the manual release is NOT there..... even GM "Certified" Technicians, Dealer Service "Advisors", members of the HHR forumS and some people that are considered GOD, when it comes to what is correct for the HHR.
Including me. I half assedly forgot about your original post.

Quick Reply: Rear hatch mystery release handle