General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Refunds for Recalls

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 07:41 AM

Refunds for Recalls

I know it has been mentioned that the HHR might be next in line to get the official recall for the steering issues, but that GM probably didn't do them all at once for monetary purposes.

I know a typical recall the dealer handles parts and labor, but ChevyMgr mentioned keeping your receipts so you could get a refund if a recall is issued later.

My question is what if I get the work done by my local mechanic. Will they cover labor costs up to what it would have cost the Chevy mechanic, or will they not reimburse any labor that was not done by a dealership mechanic?
Old 08-07-2010, 08:11 AM
Rest In Peace

As was stated, Save your reciepts.

IF it gets included, they will reimburse up too the alotted time for Labor and the Parts.

IF your mechanic charged you 20 hours labor and the book rate calls for 5, you'll get 5.

If you did it yourself, well your only gonna have the Part reciept, and thats all they will pay you for, the Part not your own time.

Thats basically industry standard.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:22 AM
Founding Member

GM refunds reasonable receipts. They get to decide what is resaonable, but most are processed.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:34 AM

Well, since the HHR uses the EXACT same power steering motor as the Cobalt, GM has issued a recall on the Cobalt....

Let me just say this... If you have had a failure of this component and GM refuses to replace it at THEIR cost, I would advise contacting an attorney and sue GM for the repair!!

This is typical GM of late BS and should NOT be tolerated!!
Old 08-07-2010, 10:49 AM

Not to get off subject, but contacting an atty. here in Santa Monica, Ca. is $365. an hour, or about $2500 out of pocket just to write a letter. When you think about it suing is not an option, and I question a class action against the govt. It is what it is.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by ckriensky
Not to get off subject, but contacting an atty. here in Santa Monica, Ca. is $365. an hour, or about $2500 out of pocket just to write a letter. When you think about it suing is not an option, and I question a class action against the govt. It is what it is.
Getting a lawyer is a no win here and in most cases unless you are dead or near dead ypu will pay more than you win.

Class actions are a con game by lawyers. They get the money and you get maybe a free oil change as long as it is not Mobil one and only done on Tuesdays.

GM may or may not cover these. I had a bad wiper motor in my Sonoma that was recalled up to the year before mine and the same issues was at hand and it was never recalled. If I had a Blazer they would have covered the bad soldered joint.

For the most send your case to Judge Judy and you may come out ahead.

The legal system in this country is so screwed up as the companies that lose pass the cost on to the public and the people who even win but often lose in legal fees. The only winners are the lawyers.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
Getting a lawyer is a no win here and in most cases unless you are dead or near dead ypu will pay more than you win.

Class actions are a con game by lawyers. They get the money and you get maybe a free oil change as long as it is not Mobil one and only done on Tuesdays.

GM may or may not cover these. I had a bad wiper motor in my Sonoma that was recalled up to the year before mine and the same issues was at hand and it was never recalled. If I had a Blazer they would have covered the bad soldered joint.

For the most send your case to Judge Judy and you may come out ahead.

The legal system in this country is so screwed up as the companies that lose pass the cost on to the public and the people who even win but often lose in legal fees. The only winners are the lawyers.
But that is only the Third Tuesday of a month with a total eclipse of the sun and moon.