General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.
View Poll Results: When do you use your remote start?
rarely, silly option
7.04%
when it's cold, d'uh
43.19%
often but I like doing it myself
15.96%
every time, wouldn't be without it
24.88%
never
10.80%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Remote Starter

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 06:58 AM

not silly just not used

Originally Posted by HHR_ROX_CALI
My vote would be: never use, but it's NOT a silly option!
But, having never used it, now I'm curious. Pardon my ignorance, but what position is the ignition switch in when you enter the car? And you insert the key when you get in?
obviously an amateur poll :-), hadn't thought of that and I can't seem to edit it now, shudda left the silly part off...

It fires up with just the parking lights on and the doors locked.
Seems weird turning the key just to the on position with the engine already running. After so many years of driving, I keep thinking I'm going to turn that key all the way to start and clash the teeth but hasn't happenned yet.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:17 AM

[QUOTE=Smoke Wagon;232964...snipped

I let it run until the coolant temp is 100 degrees-usually about 1-2 minutes...all aluminum engine, it is vital to warm the motor's internals a bit before driving off, unless you baby it for the first few miles....QUOTE]

I've never been one to idle a motor for long. Doesn't seem fair to have a warm engine and a cold tranny. I prefer to doodle around the block, I even walk through the gears.

Why are they asking us not to keep constant speeds during break-in? My vehicle was driven from 200 miles away and I'm sure the guy just set the cruise and tooled up the 401 for a couple of hours. That's the first 200 on that motor and at a constant 60 or 70mph.... should I be concerned?
Old 01-29-2008, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Mikey
obviously an amateur poll :-), hadn't thought of that and I can't seem to edit it now,
Never has been added to the poll
Old 01-29-2008, 08:55 AM

I use my remote start often, as it's COLD here. I'm sure I'll use it during the summer,. too :)

I paid big bucks to install a remote start + pager on an old Suburban I had. The thing sucked. False alarms all the time. The fob would also pick up random radio waves at 3AM & tell me the engine was running (when it wasn't).
Old 01-29-2008, 09:36 AM

I dig mine!

I especially like to start my HHR when someone is next to it. They hear it start and look inside to see no one there!

Muahahahahaha!
Old 01-29-2008, 10:06 AM

it brings up an interesting point regarding battery, cold cranking amps, and starter power...using the remote starter should make it easier on the battery/electrical system since the only part being used is the starter, and some signal from the MLPS(range sensor, aka neutral safety switch). This would lighten the load on the battery during cold starts.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Smoke Wagon
I am a smoker, and on my other cars, they are cold-blooded pigs...10 minutes just to reach op temp, so I fire them up, and step outside to have a smoke...but not the HHR...I let it run until the coolant temp is 100 degrees-usually about 1-2 minutes...
Incentive to quit?
Old 01-29-2008, 12:13 PM

I have friends in the frozen north (Chicago, Michigan) who swore by their remote starts. Was happy to find mine with the remote start. It is a great thing on cold days, especially when your windshield is iced over (happens frequently here). I've gotten in the habit of setting my climate control to meet what I think I'll need at the next start-up, just in case. FYI: Letting your car sit, running, and not being in it is now against the law here in Nashville. You can be ticketed, and they are doing it. This was done because of very high rates of car thefts when the car is left running in the driveway to warm up. I have asked an officer here if it was illegal to leave mine running when there is security built-in to the system (doors locked, no key, cannot shift or move vehicle). He couldn't answer the question, but is going to find the answer for me.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by HipHotRod
I especially like to start my HHR when someone is next to it. They hear it start and look inside to see no one there!

Muahahahahaha!
Smart ass!
I have scared a few folks by doing this too--one of my student's says she is afraid of my car because I do this! But like someone said, the remote start and roof rails were some of the key things I wanted (hence why I got an LT2).

Love that feature!
Old 01-29-2008, 02:08 PM

"Mafia" types are rumored to get remote start on all their cars so they can start it from as far away as possible...

Quick Reply: Remote Starter