General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Reset the oil life indicator..The easy way

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by RUDEINC
I stumbled across this weekend while I was programming my nitrous control unit. The easy way to reset the DIC oil life monitor. It's just like other GM vehicles that use the oil reset feature. Some of you may already be familliar with this. Here are the steps...

1......Key on ,not running
2......Step on the gas pedal to the floor 3x in 5 seconds or less.
3......Oil life indicator will go back to 100%

This works out great for me, because I can never remember how to do it using the steering wheel controls. I always end up looking in the owners manual...lol...Just thought I would share....Regards
SWeet! just did it!
Old 02-20-2009, 12:25 PM

That method doesn't work with the SS.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:35 PM

Um, for the HHR SS you have to Press the INFO Button on the steering wheel when it gets to the Oil Life %. Hold that button and the Arrow Button at the same time. Release and it will say "Oil Life Reset". Press arrow button again and it will then say something like "Confirm" Wut Ever. Press Arrow again and it will then go to 100%
Old 02-20-2009, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Black Beauty
if you`re altering the computer by resetting this way, what else is changing you can`t see?
I totally agree. I think you should go by the book when it comes to vehicle computers. I could see using this alternate method if resetting the way intended does not work for some reason, but other than that I figure it's probably in the manual for a good reason. Just my opinion.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:06 PM

It's legacy code from earlier systems, the shop truck is a 06 Silverado that has no steering wheel controls and a much simpler DIC display. More advanced system build code on top of the basic code rather than rewrite from scratch. It was likely considered to be easier for the end user to understand if all changes to the display were done thru the steering wheel controls. BTW, the switch between metric and US display is a real PITA. If anyone knows a shortcut that can be done safely without having to stop somewhere it would be appreciated. (My 92 S-15 Jimmy has a US/metric pushbutton- sometimes simpler is better)
Old 02-21-2009, 03:31 PM

i think the only way to do it is through the DIC. did it by accident last time i changed my oil and found myself going waay too slow on the eway.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:34 PM

Used the shortcut last two oil changes- no issues.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:36 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Black Beauty
No hard time... just seemed a little strange, not to mention, if you`re altering the computer by resetting this way, what else is changing you can`t see?
Nothing is changing.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by mongo
It's legacy code from earlier systems, the shop truck is a 06 Silverado that has no steering wheel controls and a much simpler DIC display. More advanced system build code on top of the basic code rather than rewrite from scratch. It was likely considered to be easier for the end user to understand if all changes to the display were done thru the steering wheel controls. BTW, the switch between metric and US display is a real PITA. If anyone knows a shortcut that can be done safely without having to stop somewhere it would be appreciated. (My 92 S-15 Jimmy has a US/metric pushbutton- sometimes simpler is better)
Last time I drove through Canada I realized that without the ability to change over (didn't have the manual with me) there was no way of telling whether I was speeding, there being no secondary marks on the speedo...OK no way of telling how much I was speeding
Old 02-21-2009, 09:29 PM

Resetting the oil life monitor is the same as resetting the trip milage. When you get toggle past the trip odo's and get to oil life, just hold the arrow button to reset. Simple!

Quick Reply: Reset the oil life indicator..The easy way