General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

resetting "Change oil soon"

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by sa82
holy s**t thanx so much you guys. that worked! weird? now can someone tell me why that worked and the car manual didn't. user error??? :) oh well thanx again you guys saved me some money cuz i'm sure i would have had to pay for that had i brought it to the dealership. that message was driving me crazy!!
Why would your Dealer charge for that? The only reason I take mine there is cause it is free for 3 years.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Goose
It will work (or should) the way it is described in the manual...have done 2 changes since May and it works each time I have done it. Try it again...no use going to the stealership unless you have to. I have had dealerships screw up something as simple as an oil change
Goose
Yep they assign oil changes to the service manager's brother-in-law who's too dumb to run the vacuum cleaner

I would have to run the same oil FAR longer than I'm comfortable if I actually went by what that display says for changing oil (which I do myself). So it's totally useless IMO.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by sa82
thanx that's exactlly what i did try but i guess i'll go up to the dealer. another stupid girl going to the dealership for stupid stuff :)
Has it been long or have you driven much since the oil change? For the oil life monitor to be accurate it must be reset as soon as the oil is changed.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by sbljr

I would have to run the same oil FAR longer than I'm comfortable if I actually went by what that display says for changing oil (which I do myself). So it's totally useless IMO.

I don't suppose you have ever had you oil tested to see how much time and money you are throwing away just to make yourself "comfortable"?
Old 08-28-2007, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by solman98
I don't suppose you have ever had you oil tested to see how much time and money you are throwing away just to make yourself "comfortable"?
Another member that does not think the vehicle manufacturer has a clue and loves to throw money at the oil companies. Old habits die hard.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by solman98
I KNOW I change oil more often than is "essential" but since I do it myself I don't waste nearly as much money as people who pay to have it done. Old habits die hard

Actually, I do not believe it is throwing money away IF you plan to keep a car into high mileage. Though I have no scientific proof, everyone I know who's put outrageously high miles on a vehicle with no engine problems has been an owner who changed oil religiously at frequent intervals. Flushing out contaminants has got to be a good thing even if the oil still has its lubricating properties intact.

OTOH people who trade vehicles frequently (I don't unless I'm unhappy with it) are definitely wasting money by doing frequent oil changes, especially if they use premium oil as well. The benefits (if any) are going to be reaped by the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th owner!
Old 08-28-2007, 12:44 PM

i just got the oil changed this past thursday. so the car didn't have a lot of miles put on it since then. i'm not trying to waste money just trying to keep my car in good shape. that's what makes me comfortable. i am a girl who is freaked out about having my car break down in 5:00 traffic. i want to keep this car in good condition. just got it. before that i had to drive around in a hand-me down 98' chevy prizm w/no air (in florida!!). don't get me wrong that car got me through college. so now i have something that is really nice and i want to take care of it :)
Old 08-28-2007, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by nfboy
Another member that does not think the vehicle manufacturer has a clue and loves to throw money at the oil companies. Old habits die hard.
Vehicle manufacturers have a darn good clue how to make my car last through the warranty. If I want it to last a whole lot longer than that, getting the clues are up to me. I happen to know an old gentleman who was for years the service manager of one of the largest car dealerships in the midwest. He's retired now so he isn't trying to sell me anything. He gave me a clue about that: he said change oil MORE often than the manufacturer recommends. Now I'm giving it to you.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by sbljr
Vehicle manufacturers have a darn good clue how to make my car last through the warranty. If I want it to last a whole lot longer than that, getting the clues are up to me. I happen to know an old gentleman who was for years the service manager of one of the largest car dealerships in the midwest. He's retired now so he isn't trying to sell me anything. He gave me a clue about that: he said change oil MORE often than the manufacturer recommends. Now I'm giving it to you.
Technology changes and people often do not keep up.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:54 AM

Back to the subject of the thread...

I followed the instructions in the owners manual and it worked perfectly. (Not sure why my dealer didn't reset it, but it gave me the chance to try it out.)

Quick Reply: resetting "Change oil soon"