General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

resetting "Change oil soon"

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by nfboy
Technology changes and people often do not keep up.
It's obvious you think you know more than the individual I referred to who, until recently, spent his life inspecting the innards of engines. Further discussion pointless.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by sbljr
Yep they assign oil changes to the service manager's brother-in-law who's too dumb to run the vacuum cleaner
I have had two cars that I bought used that had cross threaded drain plugs. Despite being careful to get the threads lined up correctly and not over tighten, the plug in my Neon's aluminum oil pan stripped completely during an oil change causing me to have to make a mad dash to the auto store (in my wife's car) to try and find a slightly oversized self threading replacement. Both vehicles were owned previously by people that took them in to quick lube and dealer service departments for oil changes. Consequently I do oil changes myself. I would probably change it myself even if it was offered free by the quick lube places.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by dbfruth
I have had two cars that I bought used that had cross threaded drain plugs.
Drain plugs are about the easiest bolts in the world to start straight since they are always well-lubricated by the very purpose they serve. Can't see how anybody could start one wrong unless they haphazardly and very carelessly slapped it in with an air wrench. Which is probably just what they do at the quick lube places.

Took a car to one of those outits once when they had a coupon in the paper that made the oil change even cheaper than DIY. I guess it was supposed to get people hooked on going there. Problem is, they didn't stop there. Some dummy doing the free tire check somehow managed to mess up a valve stem doing nothing more than a check. Ended up having to change a flat tire on the KS turnpike. NEVER again will I go there!