General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

roof rail capacity again (sorry)

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 04:47 PM

roof rail capacity again (sorry)

Once again i visit the roof rail debate.

GM called me earlier this week about some dealer issues i had , and while talking to them i asked what the rails on the hhr can hold. The lady got back to me today and
I was told ,and i quote "150lbs and flex is normal" so there you have it. It's off into the great outdoors with boats bikes and beers i go!
Old 06-13-2007, 06:18 PM

Let us know how it goes. The first time I took my van with the kayaks on top on the interstate, it sounded like the roof was going to peel off. The next time I loaded them with the seat downward and heard little noise.

Another lesson learned!
Old 06-13-2007, 07:14 PM

To be truthful sandy, my roof felt like would rip off too,(with 2 on the roof) I carry mine on edge, seats out.I do however keep the speed under a 100k
Old 06-13-2007, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by the_dogs-bollocks
I do however keep the speed under a 100k
Oh is that my problem.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:49 PM

Wow, this sounds scary, I'd love to be able to use the HHR to haul our kayaks. I'm abit scared to have the roof rails installed if it could damage my roof. Out of those who have attempted this do you have sunroofs as well? I don't, so just wondering if the roof without a sunroof would be more sound, or maybe worse for that matter. Anyway would be interesting to learn what to expect before spending the money and having them installed. Might be cheaper in the long run to keep using my K 5 blazer, not to keen on the idea of having my head liner pulled out and having holes drilled.

Thanks, Curtis & Deb
Old 06-14-2007, 07:43 AM

My roof rack is factory installed. However, I don't have the cross bars yet and use the foam blocks to place one kayak on top the HHR. I use my minivan for two. Now that I know the HHR can handle the weight, I might try those saddles to haul two kayaks.

The dogs-bollocks, can you post of picture of your kayaks on top of your HHR?
Old 06-14-2007, 09:26 PM

We've learned from the folks at Chevy, NOT the salespeople, who happen to know beans about what's available and what's not, that if you have an LS putting roof rails on it is NOT an option, and no matter whether you have an LS, 1LT or 2LT they told us that unless you have the rails put on at the factory, and this is even if you go to Chevy and have their rails put on, it zaps your warranty, on your paint.

Some of you might remember that we were not happy about the fact that all the dealers here in the Phoenix, Chandler, and the Scottsdale AZ area told us we COULD have Chevy put the roof rails on. They said it would cost us $800.00 and take four hours. We are really into camping, and we wanted to buy a canoe this summer, then we found out we can't have roof rails on the LS we bought. Had we known this, we would have gone for the 1LT instead. A couple dealers told us, after the fact that we can have the rails put on, but we may not carry any kind of load on them..........sheesh! Why would we put them on and not be able to carry anything on them????

Since then, Van's Chevrolet, out in Scottsdale, has called us four times....yep, 1.....2.....3.....4, times to tell us they found and have just the car we want. We decided to bite the bullet and upgrade to a 1LT, and take a loss on our new car. We asked them to find us a 1LT with a roof rack, must be five speed, and running boards, any color. Every single time we've gone out after they've called, we've wasted hours while they look for the car, only to come back and tell us that they can't find one. The last time we went out and wasted two hours looking for the car (and this, mind you, after they called and my husband asked, "are you looking at the car? Is it a five speed? Are you looking at that car and does it have a roof rack, and running boards?" but there was no such car. The man who called said yes he was looking at it and it had everything we asked for. When they couldn't find the car they said they had for us, they told us we're just too picky! Ken says next time they think they've got it, "they" will have to drive it to our house, we're NOT going back. I say they've given us a runaround, and I do NOT want to do business at all. I'd rather wait and order from the factory next year and just get an 08 with everything we want on it.

In the meantime, we'll be stuffing the camping gear in our car and heading north in three weeks without a roof rack!

Our advise is to really do some homework on that rack before you add one.