General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Service Air Bag?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 06:21 PM
Platinum Member

Did you read the links that myself and RJ_RS_SS_359 posted above ?

edit: not above but on the previous page.
Old 08-19-2016, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Airfoto
I would have thought that when the car was in the shop for the transmission service that a recall would have shown for my car. Which doesn't mean that it doesn't have one, only that the dealer I went to didn't tell me about it, or it was already done to the car. When I check the above site, it said that there were no current recalls out on the 2009 HHR's
THIS IS a LINK!!
https://my.chevrolet.com/na-chevrolet/recalls
THAT WAS A LINK!!
ENTER YOUR VIN and it will tell you what your particular car needs. There is no need to give up any other information unless you want to.

The only Message that pops up from the "factory" is the oil life monitor. The procedure to reset it is in the Owner Manual, you do not have to go to a Dealer like BMW, Audi, MB, etc.

Please don't get all offended this winter when the car warns you about freezing, that will go away by itself.

Go get an airbag code reader if you want to know why the light is on. Somebody will need to touch the computer.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
THIS IS a LINK!!
https://my.chevrolet.com/na-chevrolet/recalls
THAT WAS A LINK!!
ENTER YOUR VIN and it will tell you what your particular car needs. There is no need to give up any other information unless you want to.

The only Message that pops up from the "factory" is the oil life monitor. The procedure to reset it is in the Owner Manual, you do not have to go to a Dealer like BMW, Audi, MB, etc.

Please don't get all offended this winter when the car warns you about freezing, that will go away by itself.

Go get an airbag code reader if you want to know why the light is on. Somebody will need to touch the computer.
Yes, I checked that the first time you told me, with the vin and got the results I mentioned. No outstanding recalls for the 2009 HHR.

The light has cleared after I disconnected the battery for 30 minutes.
Old 08-20-2016, 05:38 AM
Platinum Member

Disconnecting the battery may have cleared the light and it's code, but did nothing to fix the actual cause of the problem.
Now, if you wanted to find what the problem is, you have cleared any stored info that could help you trace it down.

Fwiw. You keep using the term Recall. Just because your car doesn't show up on a Recall list doesn't mean there's no info on your particular issue. TSB's and other GM memos may contain something related to your problem.
Go back and reread that link I put in post #6. In that link, post #134 sure does seem like the exact thing you are experiencing.
Old 08-20-2016, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Airfoto
Yes, I checked that the first time you told me, with the vin and got the results I mentioned. No outstanding recalls for the 2009 HHR.

The light has cleared after I disconnected the battery for 30 minutes.
When I entered my VIN the results came back for MY car not for 2011 HHR.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Disconnecting the battery may have cleared the light and it's code, but did nothing to fix the actual cause of the problem.
Now, if you wanted to find what the problem is, you have cleared any stored info that could help you trace it down.

Fwiw. You keep using the term Recall. Just because your car doesn't show up on a Recall list doesn't mean there's no info on your particular issue. TSB's and other GM memos may contain something related to your problem.
Go back and reread that link I put in post #6. In that link, post #134 sure does seem like the exact thing you are experiencing.

#134 isn't the issue - not having any of the problems listed except the light came on, nothing else, hasn't effected anything thing or have any other symptoms. I have an 09 not 08 or less as listed for #134, not sure if there any difference. Yes, it did clear the light and I don't think there is a problem. With the other 2 cars preset messages clear and don't come back. My experience with GM computers is that if there really is a problem the message will come back.

I know the HHR is new to me but it seems that the GM system isn't much different between their cars, other then complexity of the make. The Corvette has 2 computers the CTS V has 3, all for different stuff and they all seem to function the same way between makes.

I drove the HHR last night for about an hour and no further problem with the Air Bag Light. I should have asked if anyone else has had this issue come up? Again - thank all for the info.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:18 AM
Platinum Member

I don't have a clue where you are getting those year models and info from.
I copied part of that post #134 below. If you have a 09, then it sure is on that list.

07-09-41-010c
#07-09-41-010C: Airbag Light On, DTC B0071 and B0081 Set (Diagnose and Replace Right Front Seatbelt Buckle, If Necessary) - (Apr 15, 2010)

Subject: Airbag Light On, DTC B0071 and B0081 Set (Diagnose and Replace Right Front Seatbelt Buckle, If Necessary)

Models: 2005-2007 Buick Terraza

2006-2010 Buick Lucerne

2006-2010 Cadillac DTS

2007-2010 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT

2005-2009 Chevrolet Uplander

2006-2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

2006-2010 Chevrolet HHR

2006-2008 Chevrolet Impala

2007-2010 Chevrolet Avalanche, Cobalt, Colorado, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe

2007-2010 GMC Canyon, Sierra, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL

2005-2009 Pontiac Montana SV6

2007-2010 Pontiac G5

2005-2007 Saturn RELAY

2008-2010 Saturn VUE

2006-2010 HUMMER H3

2009-2010 HUMMER H3T
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to update the model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 07-09-41-010B (Section 09 - Restraints).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Some customers may comment on the airbag light being illuminated. Upon investigation, the technician may find DTC B0071 set in the passenger presence system (PPS) and a DTC B0081 in the sensing and diagnostics module (SDM).
Old 08-20-2016, 10:25 AM

The HHR does have 5 or 6 computers. ECM (engine), TCM (trans), BCM (body), EBCM (ABS/TC), SDM (air bag). They are all connected on the CAN Bus/GM LAN. I suppose you could also add the VCIM (OnStar/XM/bt) as a computer, if installed.

I guess the similarities are indicated by the name "GM LAN" instead of "HHR LAN".

It's mostly the firmware that is different.

You didn't say that you had checked the air bag codes, so we assumed you had not. That is the conditions beside the light being on for the TSB.
"Some customers may comment on the airbag light being illuminated. Upon investigation, the technician may find DTC B0071 set in the passenger presence system (PPS) and a DTC B0081 in the sensing and diagnostics module (SDM)"
Also, note the "MAY" qualifier.
Old 08-20-2016, 11:34 AM

My wife has an 09.
there is a recall on it to replace the passenger airbag harness. We had it done about 6 weeks ago. It did not apply to the my 10.
Old 08-20-2016, 04:23 PM

I got the information off the site you gave me, you think I'm making this up?

https://www.chevyhhr.net/gallery/fil.../1/capture.jpg"

My car has already had the recall done to it and a new harness put on. I ran over to the dealer to talk to them about the problem and they want the car on Monday.

Enough said, sorry I asked!

Quick Reply: Service Air Bag?