General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Service Intervals - Whose Right Dealer Or Gm?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 06:39 PM

Red face Service Intervals - Whose Right Dealer Or Gm?

I bought the Toy in June '06 and have 1375 miles todate.

I just received a letter from my dealer sayng that my 3 month/3k miles service interval is coming up. I will go in this first time, just to get oil changed after the initial breakin. But every 3 months thereafter, I'm not so sure about that?

Doesn't this Dealer recommended service interval conflict with what GM recommends in the manual? This would be based on the DIC/oil service life system.

Anybody on the forum work for a Chevy dealership that can answer this before I talk to my dealer? I'm concerned about denial of warranty claims if I don't follow the dealer recommendation and stick to GM's schedule in the manual.

It would seem that what GM suggests would totally effect dealer potential for service revenue, since customers would come in on a less frequent basis. So this letter sounds like a ploy to get more money rather than what is actually needed to keep the car maintained.

Any help or experience with this would be appreciated.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:50 PM

Dealer wants more money. GM already made theirs from you. Believe GM.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:59 PM

When I got my HHR the dealer had a coupon book in the glove box. The first oil change at 3000 miles (free) then every 3000 miles for oil change and other routine matence.
The coupon book did say that it exceced GM's recommended service.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by GDZHHR
Dealer wants more money. GM already made theirs from you. Believe GM.
I second that.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:07 PM

Engine Oil Life System

When to Change Engine Oil

Your vehicle has a computer system that lets you know

when to change the engine oil and filter. This is based on
engine revolutions and engine temperature, and not on
mileage. Based on driving conditions, the mileage at
which an oil change will be indicated can vary
considerably. For the oil life system to work properly,
you must reset the system every time the oil is changed.
When the system has calculated that oil life has been
diminished, it will indicate that an oil change is
necessary. A CHANGE OIL SOON message in the
Driver Information Center (DIC) will come on. See

DIC Warnings and Messages on page 3-42
. Change

your oil as soon as possible within the next 600 miles
(1 000 km). It is possible that, if you are driving
under the best conditions, the oil life system may not
indicate that an oil change is necessary for over a year.
However, your engine oil and filter must be changed
at least once a year and at this time the system must be
reset. Your dealer has GM-trained service people who
will perform this work using genuine GM parts and reset
the system. It is also important to check your oil
regularly and keep it at the proper level.
If the system is ever reset accidentally, you must
change your oil at 3,000 miles (5 000 km) since your
last oil change. Remember to reset the oil life system
whenever the oil is changed.
5-16
This is from the GM HHR Owner's Manual
Old 08-29-2006, 07:18 PM
Platinum Member

Hey Grump...

The dealers all do this to increase revenue. A major portion of the dealerships income is from service work. So, you need to determine what makes you comfortable.

But, one time, I asked a dealer service writer and manager, "..why are you suggesting something different that the GM Owner's Book?". They responded, "it provides better performance and longevity for the vehicle". So, GM is wrong in what they suggest in their Owner's Manual. No, but it is better. Well, can you show me some data or stats in regard to this. Well, no..but we know it is. Hmmm, that's interesting, I'll need to write GM and tell them they are misinforming consumers. Well, no you don't need to do that, we'll just provide it free this time....

Read your Owners Book, it provides the guidelines.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:02 PM

Shoot I took my HHR into the dealer at 3M and they wanted to know what I was doing there and told me not to bring the car back till the computer tills me to unless I have other issues with the car needing to be fix....

I told them.. '... well I am here so go ahead and change the oil and reset the oil system and I will not come back unless I have to....'

--David
Old 08-29-2006, 09:13 PM

I changed mine at 3500 km. went to Amsoil syn.
Went to the dealer for warrenty about 4 months after I bought the car and they said that I need to get my annual fall service done. I just laugh at them. I work on cars and trucks all the time at home and at work. I know when to do the oil change. I would change it every 5000km unless your going to use syn.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:25 PM

Changing your oil every 3000 miles has increases the likelyhood of shorter engine life. Yup, I said it, and it is true. If you are useing oil that meets the specifications of GM, I would follow the OLM. If you must change your oil sooner, I would at least use a 5000 mile drain interval, as this reduces the operating time with no oil pressure, and decreases bearing wear compared to a 3000 mile change interval, and reduces the likelyhood of a human induced no pressure incident (such as forgeting to put the drain plug in or tighten it to specs, forgeting to install the oil filter, or not tightening it to specs) don't laugh, as this does happen. Other things that you shoudn't do include using a non-recommended oil weight, such as 10w-30, especially one that doesn't meet the GM cold pumping specification, as this could cause an oil-starvation condition in cold weather.

Personally, I use a synthetic oil (Pennzoil Platinum because it is cheaper than mobil 1, and is showing just as good used oil analysees) and follow the OLM, which is running to about 15000 miles right now, as the car is driven almost entirely on the highway.

Flame on my friends! :)
Old 08-29-2006, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by shakakan
Changing your oil every 3000 miles has increases the likelyhood of shorter engine life. Yup, I said it, and it is true. If you are useing oil that meets the specifications of GM, I would follow the OLM. If you must change your oil sooner, I would at least use a 5000 mile drain interval, as this reduces the operating time with no oil pressure, and decreases bearing wear compared to a 3000 mile change interval, and reduces the likelyhood of a human induced no pressure incident (such as forgeting to put the drain plug in or tighten it to specs, forgeting to install the oil filter, or not tightening it to specs) don't laugh, as this does happen. Other things that you shoudn't do include using a non-recommended oil weight, such as 10w-30, especially one that doesn't meet the GM cold pumping specification, as this could cause an oil-starvation condition in cold weather.

Personally, I use a synthetic oil (Pennzoil Platinum because it is cheaper than mobil 1, and is showing just as good used oil analysees) and follow the OLM, which is running to about 15000 miles right now, as the car is driven almost entirely on the highway.

Flame on my friends! :)
lmao

Quick Reply: Service Intervals - Whose Right Dealer Or Gm?