General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Service Intervals - Whose Right Dealer Or Gm?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 09:25 AM

Watch out for those free oil change deals. My father inlaw has an 1996 s-10 with the 4.3 v-6 and he has the free oil change deal as well. At 50,000 miles always had the oil changed "for free" at the Dealership. This is a pampered never been out of town type truck. He sold it and there was a line of people that wanted it. He sold it to his brother who went to change the oil himself, pulled the drain plug and nothing came out. He stuck a screwdriver in there to break up the sludge and some came out. He had to use a motor flush and change the oil a couple of times to get it all out.

All of this from the free oil at the dealership. Dealership oil is in Bulk 55 gallon drums. Who knows what goes in there? They buy whatever is the cheapest.

Remember there is no such thing as a free lunch!!!!!!!
Old 08-30-2006, 09:54 AM

Wtf

Originally Posted by Novadiecast
Watch out for those free oil change deals. My father inlaw has an 1996 s-10 with the 4.3 v-6 and he has the free oil change deal as well. At 50,000 miles always had the oil changed "for free" at the Dealership. This is a pampered never been out of town type truck. He sold it and there was a line of people that wanted it. He sold it to his brother who went to change the oil himself, pulled the drain plug and nothing came out. He stuck a screwdriver in there to break up the sludge and some came out. He had to use a motor flush and change the oil a couple of times to get it all out.

All of this from the free oil at the dealership. Dealership oil is in Bulk 55 gallon drums. Who knows what goes in there? They buy whatever is the cheapest.

JUST WHAT IS IT THAT YOU DO FOR A LIVING? I TAKE OFFENSE TO WHAT YOU HAVE SAID HERE. I TAKE GREAT PRIDE IN BEING PART TO THE VEHICLE REPAIR BUSINESS. PLEASE WATCH WHAT YOU SAY! THANKS.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:19 AM

Thumbs up My two cents.

Just took both cars in for oil change. Purchased 10 quarts of 5W30 Royal Purple (5 quarts per car). The 89 Lincoln (changed oil every 3,000 miles - has 177,000 on it) was running slightly rough prior to the change and within 2 blocks out of the change shop - the engine was smooth and felt great.
The HHR just turned 2,000 miles and I wanted to start this car with the best - I will have to wait to see if it produces better miles per gallon as advertised. I only drive about 500 miles per month.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:30 AM

Wtf

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadiecast

JUST WHAT IS IT THAT YOU DO FOR A LIVING? I TAKE OFFENSE TO WHAT YOU HAVE SAID HERE. I TAKE GREAT PRIDE IN BEING PART TO THE VEHICLE REPAIR BUSINESS. PLEASE WATCH WHAT YOU SAY! THANKS.
Not trying to upset any service guys here, sorry if I did. The fact is not all shops are created equal. Just relaying some personal experience. By the way I am a Rep for one of the largest Window Manufactures in The U.S. formally a Service Manager at a Ford Dealer!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-30-2006, 11:14 AM

Then You Should Know Better . I Seen Some Pretty Shaddy Window Salesmen In My Time But That Does Not Mean They Are All Bad. Btw, Dealers But There Oil From Major Suppliers, Chry Buys From Mobil In Case You Did Not Know.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:20 PM

I've gotten 2 oil changes, both at the closest dealership to my work, it's a Hendrick outfit, Jimmy Johnson Chevrolet. For $20 w/coupon, which is less than it costs for oil and filter at the auto parts, they put Castrol synthetic blend in it, top the other fluids and WASH it for me and give me another coupon each time... I've been changing when the oil monitor says about 50% or so.... about 5000 miles... Second oil change they did a rotation AND rebalance for $16 extra dollars... Very cool dudes... I'm a mechanic, but I drive a new car because I work on crap all day, last thing I want to do is work on my transpo car in my spare time.... I'll let them feed my squirrels.... I'll go by the manual.... they did the testing...
Old 08-30-2006, 04:26 PM
Platinum Member

To make the right decision regarding when to change your oil, you only need to ask yourself a couple of questions....

What will make me comfortable?
What complies with the Manufacturers requirement?
What type of oil will I use?

The rest is irrelevent, but IMHO, Dan-d gave you the best advise, with one exception. I THINK, the first oil change should be at or after 3000 miles, if you are changing to synthetic. Reason...synthetic has been proven to have superior lubricating properties as compared to "natural" oils. I have been told, and observed, instances were synthetic interfered with the process of "wear-in".
Old 08-30-2006, 05:03 PM

i changed my oil to Mobil 1 at 1000 miles, dealership looked at me like i was nuts but they did it any way. Then they told me to come back for oil changes every 5000 miles. This is going to be my first dealer maintenanced car i have ever owned. They are going to give us a brand new set of tires after are 16th service or when needed. They rotate the tires every tire change. I figured since i would like for the HHR to run for ever why not let the dealership do all the maintenance and just bring them in Mobil 1 for the oil changes. FYI they charge $9 per quart of Mobil 1, that is why i go to Wall-Mart and get the 5 qt containers for $21.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
To make the right decision regarding when to change your oil, you only need to ask yourself a couple of questions....

What will make me comfortable?
What complies with the Manufacturers requirement?
What type of oil will I use?

The rest is irrelevent, but IMHO, Dan-d gave you the best advise, with one exception. I THINK, the first oil change should be at or after 3000 miles, if you are changing to synthetic. Reason...synthetic has been proven to have superior lubricating properties as compared to "natural" oils. I have been told, and observed, instances were synthetic interfered with the process of "wear-in".
i disagree with the synthetic interferring with break in, here is why, how many cars do you guys know that come with it straight from the factory. I know of the Vette and the Evo. 2 high performance cars that break in with Mobil 1. 1000 miles is more than enough for a break in, especially if you baby it, keep it under 4k for the first 500 miles then start to take her up in the rpm range slowly after that. i didnt redline the car until i had 900 miles on the odm, and there was little to no metal shavings in the oil at 1000 miles. Engine is running strong and with airaid intake im getting 26 mpg mixed 60/40 highway/stop and go and 33-34 90/10 highway/stop and go, and i always drive 5-10 mph over the speed limit.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:22 PM
Platinum Member

Whatever floats your boat but,

Most cars, with Mobile 1 from the manufacturer, have the engine broke in before installing in the vehicle.....I'm told Vettes, for example, have 200 miles on them, before installing.

Also, your break-in routine is almost completely opposite of how GM does the break-in on their durability cars. But, it works for you. Alot of consumers are not that fortunate.

But again, whatever you are comfortable with. I'm not here to sell the idea. Just to provide the info. We, well most of us, are adults and can make our own decision.

Quick Reply: Service Intervals - Whose Right Dealer Or Gm?