General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Shake and Shimmy, cv axle or more

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
The price difference between new and reman is minimal.

The end play tolerance for hubs is .015 inch. Not enough to feel.

The inner joint of the axles is a slip joint, it is designed to have significant play.

The brake wear indicators can sound like a grind. They are those spring looking things that hang onto one end of the inner pad. They often get installed wrong, because they usuall come with no directions.
My bet is on this guy. For 2 reasons: first, his accuracy is damn good, and second, I really think it's the bearing. They can make noise and you can't feel it. I do Chassis warranty for another OEM... It really only takes a pothole or bad RR crossing to cause it, too. We get what we pay for...
Old 03-09-2018, 05:58 PM

whats another way i can check the hub? take it out and inspect it and look at it?

I guess my thinking is Ashley said it made all this shake and shimmy and grind noise before we did hub and now its there again. lol but many of the "new" parts have been bad out of the box recently
Old 03-09-2018, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by SwaintaN
(daughter having some serious girl bully issues at school)
Don't let this get out of hand. Talk to parents of the problem kids and authorities in school.
Enough of the junk that goes on now.
Sorry had to vent. As a kid got picked on but back then all you had to do was stand up and fight the person/people one on one.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:58 PM

we have and are, i went border line ape ****e last night on some ppl. a lot of it is "he said she said" but its bs either way especially when school says "they all need tougher skin", so yea weve hit it head on.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:12 PM

here goes nothing, putting it up in the air right now to swap out a hub on the passenger side, while its up, im gonna swap front tires front one side to another
Old 03-10-2018, 04:20 PM

If you have a runout gauge you can test the endplay. max .015 inch.

I got a new one that had about 3/4 inch endplay. It was wrapped in plastic wrap and did not seem to have ever been unwrapped.

Check the CV by isolating the outer and pushing up/down outer should be tight inner can have a tiny bit.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:10 PM

Well, working on an HHR goes a lot faster then my harley and my 4x4. So new hub is on, as of right now i dont hear that thump or AS MUCH grinding noise.. BUT while i was under there, i went and checked everything, grease and lube everything. Didnt see any odd wear and tear on anything.. Even swapped passenger with driver tire.

Now this is what i did think was odd. In all my years of doing breaks and helping others with breaks, ive always had to compress the piston on the caliper to make it fit back onto the pads. This one I didnt.. It was fully compressed when I took it off and slid back on. So now Im wondering if we have a bad brake caliper.

the only play i have in the CV axle is the inner, its minimal.

Ashley (wife) says ty to everyone.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:03 PM

You should be able to see the caliper move. The pads should be so close to the disk that the seem to be touching it.

The pull back is microscopic.

However, a bad hub can wobble enough the the caliper pulls back pretty far.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:06 PM
Administrator

The calipers might be hung up, you should only have to push it back to get new pads installed
Old 03-10-2018, 07:24 PM

im gonna pull caliper off tomorrow and have ashley press on the break to see if it is moving or not then go from there with the caliper.

Ashley just drove (so more then 1 person in the car) i was in pass. seat and bam there is all the noise and shaking and shimmy again.

Quick Reply: Shake and Shimmy, cv axle or more